Chapter 1

Here is a line for those who like to note if they are First Time Readers (FTR) or Re-Readers (RR). 

*       *       *

I quietly crawled underneath the large couch, hoping the people sitting on it were too engrossed in the tv show to sense my aura. They were all in human form, so they probably wouldn't hear me under here. It was a tight fit, only one of the pack's current pups would have been able to get under here with me. I eyed up the three sets of ankles as I edged closer to them.

The fur on my stomach brushed against the floor, although that wasn't exactly difficult since I was roughly the size of a large cat, being only a bit bigger than a full-grown runt, or so I was told. Unless someone sensed my aura, there was no way to tell me apart from a puppy unless I mindspoke or shifted. Other adult wolves could almost look a human in the eyes, whereas I would be nibbling on their ankles.

Unfortunately, I didn't inherit an adult's grace, either; I was just as clumsy as the twelve-week-old pup I resembled. In fact, I had a lot in common with a pup: the same oversized feet, the same big ears, and the same irresistible cute look that most young creatures had.

I crept closer to the ankle in front of me and bared my teeth in a puppy grin. The same sharp little baby teeth...

Chomp.

"Gah!" The ankle was yanked out of my hold as all three people jumped to their feet in surprise, their show forgotten for the moment.

I turned and scrambled away as fast as I could with my tail wagging gleefully from catching them unaware. They started to pull the couch away from the wall as I darted across the open floor toward the doorway. My furry paws skidded on the slippery hardwood flooring, and I tripped over my own oversized feet before I even got to the hallway, which wasn't overly uncommon if I tried to run fast.

I scrambled back up on my brown paws and scampered under a second couch since the hallway was no longer a viable getaway plan. The ankle I had bitten approached.

"You're not going to escape this time, Julie." The young man peered under the couch before reaching towards me. "Come here, fuzzball... Got ya!"

As I had halfway expected, the couch didn't provide enough shelter from Zack's long arms, and I was gently pulled across the smooth floor. He dragged me out from under the couch where he could get a better grip on me. I wiggled in his grasp, to no avail, as he stood up with me in his arms.

Zack grinned widely while walking back to his original seat. "For that, we are going to watch the scariest movie we can find – and you have to sit through it with us!"

"That isn't fair! I didn't even break the skin," I pleaded, only including this group in my mindlink, as I squirmed in an attempt to get free, although he had no trouble holding onto me despite my wriggling.

He sat down between the other two, who just grinned at me while one quickly scrolled through the movies. They were just as ready to return my prank, in their own fashion, as I had been to instigate it.

I gave up and sat on Zack's lap as I watched the screen. "What about The Creature From The Black Lagoon?"

The guy on the right snorted. "You simply laughed at that last time."

I wolf-grinned at him. "Well, you didn't get scared, did you?"

The twenty-year-old ignored my comment and kept looking for something scarier. As a Comforter, my aura helped to calm and comfort people. Those in nearby rooms could probably sense it faintly if they tried to feel it, although those closer were more influenced by it. Since I was in contact with Zack, he would feel my influence much more strongly than his two friends.