Chapter 32

I watched as Alpha Kiel and Beta Dawson drew up diagrams for building another section onto the packhouse. They were currently debating how many new rooms should be added.

"I think you're right," I told Alpha Kiel. "That group of rogues brought us a dozen ferals from various packs over the last month. If they keep that up, we're going to need a lot more bedrooms. People are already sleeping in some of the family rooms in wolf form."

He nodded slowly. "Yes, and more packs are hearing that a group has found a way to help the ferals, so they are starting to catch the ferals and send them to the rogues. A network is starting to form."

Beta Dawson added, "So far, they don't know where the rogues are taking them, but considering the former ferals are going back to say their goodbyes before leaving again, we know they'll cage any ferals and give them to that group of rogues in hopes that they can be helped as well."

"Then we might as well build an entire new section. So far, two thirds of the ferals have been male, so they'll likely remain here if they find their mates."

"Fair point," the Beta replied, "although I think many of the females are likely to remain as well. Their loyalty to the pack is staggering considering how new they are."

The Alpha glanced at me. "There will likely be a steady trickle of ferals coming here, which I am fine with as long as big problems don't arise. So far, most are fitting in well now that we have a system in place to help them integrate with the pack. Which leads to the question, how are you handling all the new additions and added responsibility?"

"They seem to be pretty stable after the first day or so. The other former ferals form quite an understanding support group. There are two that I think will leave to be rogues in a few months – they just don't like being around more than a handful of people. As you said, things are going far more smoothly than we had anticipated."

"That wasn't quite what I asked..."

I considered it for a moment. "I'm happy. I love being around people, so it isn't as much work as you might think. They only need to be in the vicinity to feel the effects of my aura, and that seems to be good enough most of the time. Sometimes they'll pick me up, but half of the time, it's more of a pack bonding thing than looking for comfort. The other former ferals are helping a lot with the basic day-to-day bits of getting back into the routine of being in a pack again. I also really like helping people."

The Alpha examined the sketches again. "In that case, I foresee almost every feral in this area ending up at our border if anyone manages to cage it or tie it up. None have left our pack yet, and even though a few say they plan to, my Alpha abilities are picking up a lot of reluctance to leave behind their words. As Dawson said, their loyalty runs deep, and I truly think they are here to stay. This is the one place where no one feels any unease being around a former feral."

I got up and walked to the edge of the paper on the desk for a better look at it. Alpha Kiel put another piece of paper on top and lightly sketched out the current packhouse, then he made thicker lines for new walls, paused, and put an X over the entire drawing.

The paper was crumpled into a ball and lobbed towards the recycling bin, where it joined a dozen other discarded layouts.

"Hmmm... I wonder..." Alpha Kiel's voice trailed off as he stood up and went to one of the filing cabinets.

I exchanged a glance with Beta Dawson, who shrugged.

The Alpha came back with a battered, worn folder and set it down. "What are the odds of us pulling this off?"

He opened the folder, and with one smooth swipe of his hand, managed to spread a dozen diagrams across the desk in front of him. I stared at drawings and sketches that depicted a hollow, hexagon-shaped packhouse that rose up three stories high. The pages were yellowed with age, but each line was still crisp and clear.