Chapter 35

Weeks slowly passed by, but nothing happened. Dan and Steve had lost the group's trail when they had gotten into a boat on a large river, so we never did find out where they were going.

"The rogues are back again," Anabel called across the packlink. "No news, but they do have three more ferals and five rogues who want to join."

"I'll wait by the barn for the ferals," I replied.

"Nora, can you accompany me to meet the rogues who want to join?" Alpha Kiel asked.

"On my way."

I trotted out of the house, unsurprised to see several pack members already waiting by the barn. With no need for secrecy anymore, the rogues had been bringing the ferals here.

"More rogues joining," Amber murmured, letting those nearby hear her.

"If those five don't want to be separated, then most packs won't accept them," I replied. "Alpha Kiel is one of the few who will."

"True. We just need to make sure they aren't here to cause trouble, and an hour of questioning with Nora checking for any lies or strange emotions takes care of that."

"Yep. Then begins the hard part of helping them adjust to pack life."

~

       "Julie! That's my piece of bacon! Get your tail back here!"

"Nope! It's my bacon now!" I skittered between chair legs and under tables as I ran across the dining area. Sliding to a stop, I waited until the pair of boots kept going. I doubled back and managed to slip under other tables, then finally into the kitchen.

"What are you going to do if they ever start working together to catch you?" the Luna asked in amusement from where she leaned against a counter.

"Get caught, probably." I sat by her feet and began chewing on the bacon.

"Was it the last piece of bacon?"

"Yep."

She chuckled and took a bite of her toast. I had almost finished the bacon by the time Kyle finally appeared in the doorway.

"Oh, did you come to help clean up?" I asked as innocently as I could while crunching the last bit of bacon between my teeth. "Most of the dishes have already been washed and dried. Just a couple of trays are left."

"I think you owe me for that bacon."

"What bacon? I don't see any bacon." I quickly gulped my mouthful down and looked up at the Luna. "Do you see any bacon?"

"Not at this moment," she replied serenely, "but I do see a sink full of clean water and a puppy with grease on her fur."

A grin split across Kyle's face as he advanced. "I think I can help the Omegas with that task."

I scrambled backward against the cupboards. "Uh, let's not be hasty now. We can take some time to-"

"Be on alert!" one of the patrol guards called across the packlink. "There is a trespasser in the area with a faint smell of blood. We have at least one scent trail past the border, and it's fresh!"

The Alpha immediately said, "All guards and patrols on backup duty take your places. Everyone else, please get inside or near the packhouse, or one of the safehouses."