Chapter 33

"I wish you the best of luck on your trip. Are you sure you'll be okay?"

"I should be fine. My pack has two Omegas with a really strong calming ability, or I can go for a long run in the forest," the sandy-colored wolf replied.

"Then I wish you safe travels. Make sure you come back and visit at some point!"

He nodded. "Yes, I'll come back at some point. Be good."

"You know there isn't a chance of that happening, right?"

He chuckled and took a deep breath. Moments later, his mindspark dimmed slightly as he dropped out of our pack. With one last look at us and the new packhouse's completed foundation, he turned and began a steady lope towards the forest.

He was going home.

It felt so strange watching him go. I was happy for him, and yet, sad that he was leaving. This was different than when I had seen people leave to live with their mates – almost like I had set something free.

"I'm sure he'll come back to visit," Jenna murmured from a nearby open window.

I jumped in surprise and twisted around to look at her. "Here I thought Vera was stealthy. Whatever you do, don't give her any lessons."

She grinned at me. "She wasn't born an Omega, so she wouldn't be able to learn this trick even if she was designated as an Omega."

"That's a relief."

"He'll be back one day," she repeated.

"You think so?"

"I'm certain he'll return to visit. There is a freedom in this pack – none here care that we were once feral. It's why many have no plans to leave, even if their former pack is still around and they have siblings or parents there."

"There's more to it than that," I quietly replied, "and I'm sure you've sensed it."

Jenna was silent for a long moment before replying across a private mindlink, "I have, and having been feral myself, I feel the changes personally. After having been without a true pack, the desire to remain in one is strong. And having been invited into this one with open arms..." She trailed off, but words weren't necessary.

We had been welcomed here, and many considered this as their chance to rebuild their lives and get back on their feet. They planned to make this their home, and they were willing to work hard to build themselves a future here.

Both of us looked back at the trees the wolf had gone into. He had been the first to leave the pack. Deep down, we both knew he had a bright future ahead of him, and that he would always remember this place.

Jenna murmured, "I wonder how long it will take him to realize that not a single one of his socks match?"

"Not sure," I replied with a grin, "but I'm sure he'll know how it happened."

~

       I ran down the hallway and managed to slow down enough to not slide into the doorframe when I entered the family room. "Here's some more rosemary and lavender."

The pungent herbs were quickly scenting the air and almost making my eyes water from how many I was carrying.

"Thanks. Can you put them in the vases on the floor? I can arrange them later."

"Sure!"

I managed to get them all into the vases without too much trouble and went to get more.