Chapter 18

Conrad sniffed the grass carefully. "A group of five, I think. The one's scent is very well camouflaged. Four males and one female. Two are just teens."

Josh sent his agreement across the mindlink. "That's what I'm picking up as well. Two were in human form, but their scent is clean – no old blood or bitterness, so they aren't lawless rogues."

Vera looked on unhappily as I sat between her front feet. Like a nervous shadow, the Omega – Jenna – stuck close to Vera. The other wolves had spread out in the underbrush, checking for more scents and waiting for someone to make the decision.

"If the wind shifts again, they'll pick up our scent since we haven't been hiding it. No harm in saying hello. If they get defensive, we'll leave. Julie, I assume you'll stay close to Vera?"

With a grin, I glanced up at the dark brown wolf looming over me. "I don't think I really have a choice."

Conrad snorted and bared his teeth in silent laughter.

She looked down at me with her dark brown eyes. "Stay close to me. Most rogues are fine, but some don't mind stabbing people in the back."

"Sure." I wagged my tail and tilted my head cutely. "If I thought it would work, I would pretend to be a puppy, but even if I suppress my aura, they'll sense it when we get closer. It isn't something that can be completely hidden."

"I know, and that's what bothers me. Comforters and Omegas are almost never seen outside of packs. It will gain the attention of anyone we come across if they realize what you are."

"Our abilities do tend to draw us to groups," I admitted cheerfully. "Jenna hasn't unshielded her abilities, so they won't notice her even if someone has a sensing ability, which is doubtful."

"Which leaves you as the one who stands out."

"I hate to break it to you, but pint-sized wolves who can't shift will always stand out. Especially when we use our mind control abilities."

She snorted at my reference to Sorrin's beliefs; she had heard the story – they all had. Just as I had heard theirs.

"But," I continued, "all joking aside, if things do spiral downhill, I should be able to keep things calm."

"Please stay close to me and try not to attract too much attention."

"Sure." If she really thought that something as cute and fluffy as me would be ignored by people who probably hadn't seen children or Comforters for years, then she was about to find out the hard way. Anyone could sense a Comforter's aura; they didn't have to have a pack rank or special abilities.

"Let's pretend to be halfway civil," Conrad said. "We're rogues now, not ferals, so we should really act like friendly rogues."

"I'll think about it," Vera replied, "but, I'm not shifting."

"That's fine. I'll shift and go in first to see if they want some company."

For a split second, it looked like a heat haze covered the massive black wolf before a man with dark brown hair stood in the same place. His clothes looked a bit shabby, but didn't have any holes.

"You really need a bigger shirt," I commented. All of that running around as a feral had built up more muscles than the Enforcer had boasted before. The poor shirt was practically being stretched to the breaking point.

"Yeah, I know, but chances of them having something that will fit me is very unlikely. I'm hoping this group knows some friendly packs who don't mind trading with rogues." His deep voice was quiet and surprisingly soft.