Chapter 5

"I thought you used to be a rogue? Can't you sneak quieter?"

Anabel muttered, "Had we been in the forest, you wouldn't find me. I can't help it that the floorboards in this hallway creak."

I believed her, mostly because I had never been in the forest alone, nor had I gone far from the packhouse. Even the side garden had special fencing and netting strung high above to keep aerial predators out. It was the only place I could enjoy the outdoor air and plants without company and still be safe.

"Are you sure the Enforcer won't catch us?"

"There isn't an Enforcer in this pack. So far, the Alpha, Beta, and their mates keep the peace. A travelling fighting trainer usually stops by a few times a year to help with training."

Enforcers enforced the law and helped keep the peace in a pack, especially when the Alpha and Beta were away. It wasn't possible to train an average fighter for that position – an Enforcer was born with their rank. Oddly enough, their strength and fighting abilities weren't hereditary. Much like Comforters, runts, and some Omegas, some children were occasionally just born with the rank, with no discernible pattern to help predict their arrival.

"If you are trying to tell me that I might have the Alpha coming to learn the source of the upcoming commotion, I'm backing out of this madness."

"Nah. He and the Luna went out for a run. They'll be gone for at least another hour or so. Besides, Mazie has never seen these mice yet!"

"I am beginning to regret agreeing to this more and more by the second."

"Good news is that we only have twenty seconds until we reach their door."

"Considering they are outside, why are we sneaking?"

"Because I always do when I'm about to cause a disturbance. Can you please open the door?"

She slowly turned the knob and opened the door. To my inner glee, the hinges didn't even creak. I trotted inside and went over to the bed, gazing up at the blankets I would never be able to get on top of by myself.

"She always sleeps on the right side. If you lift me up, I can explain the best way to do this."

With misgivings tinting her emotions, even with my toned-down aura and the direct contact, she set me on the bed.

"Use the safety pin to attach the fishing line to the edge of the blanket. Yes, just like that. Now, tuck the mice under her pillow. Tuck the blankets in like before and spritz the linen spray twice to remove your scent."

"What about your scent?"

"I'm known for sneaking into the laundry baskets for a free ride upstairs. If my scent is missing from a single room in this place, then I need to rectify that."

She sprayed the mist. "Now what?"

"Now, we leave before we get caught."

Anabel scooped me up and darted out the door, eager to get away from the scene of the crime.

~

       "Let's go inside," Mary said. "The sun is setting, and the mosquitoes are becoming a nuisance."

I yawned, fully in agreement. I hadn't had a single nap all day, so I was ready to find someplace to curl up. Preferably one of the spots I rarely used in case Mazie came looking for me.

The others also seemed to think it was a good idea since everyone vacated the porch and went inside. Once more, I was carried inside in style, still awake, unlike Darren, who was already fast asleep in his mother's arms.