Chapter 9

"Zack!"

I jumped at the unexpected shout, although with my aura currently strong enough to handle the horror movie on the screen, the other four in the room merely looked at the doorway in confusion.

"I'm in here, Alpha!" Zack called back. "What do you need?"

Sorrin appeared in the doorway and frowned. "It's barely four o'clock. What are you doing watching movies?"

"I was digging in the mines at six this morning. We found two more iron veins and put in another ventilation shaft."

"It's too early to be lazing around. Another session on proper fighting is just about to start at the training area."

"I joined yesterday," Zack replied as he crossed his arms, reluctant to spend another afternoon obtaining bruises after an early work shift in the mines.

Sorrin narrowed his eyes, his Alpha instincts not appreciating the defiance. "And if a band of lawless rogues attack, who is going to defend our pack? I can take on three at once, but I doubt you can make that claim."

Zack grumbled wordlessly but got to his feet, knowing he wasn't going to win this argument.

Sorrin's eyes skimmed over the rest of us. "That goes for you, too." With that, he left the doorway.

"I'm not sure what's gotten into him lately," Zack told our group over a private mindlink, "but he's becoming a real tyrant."

I agreed with him; it was like Sorrin was desperately trying to prove himself, but the pack members weren't used to an Alpha who constantly pushed them to improve their skills. The daily hounding was irritating some people and upsetting the peace within the pack.

"Julie, is there any chance you could mellow him a bit?" one of the others asked, limiting the mindlink to our group to prevent our Alpha from overhearing any whispers.

"Not when he ignores me most of the time," I replied. "I've only been in his office a handful of times in the last week. If he finds his mate, he'll probably settle down."

"He already checked the neighboring packs, so he likely won't find her for months. I'm actually thinking of seeing if a neighboring pack will accept me," Zack quietly admitted. "My parents are also contemplating leaving."

My head swivelled around to look at him, sad to hear another family was so disgruntled with our new Alpha that they were planning on switching packs. I might never see them again.

Zack picked me up and ruffled my fur as he spoke aloud, "Don't worry. I'm giving him a chance. He barely came home before he had to become the Alpha, and he's only had the title for a month. I just wish he would ease up and realize we're a pack, not a military school."

The others also stood up, grumbling about being unable to finish our movie right now. Zack put me down, and I trotted beside them as we went out the front door.

"Have fun," I told them, sitting down at the edge of the porch

"Right," Zack said, rolling his eyes. "You could join us, you know."

"Uh huh. With how my aura breaks up fights? You would never learn anything."

"You could be the treasure we have to protect. It might give us some incentive."

"I have no desire to be stepped on by you massive brutes. I believe I shall go take a nap instead."

"Ugh. Quit tormenting us like this. First you get out of watching that movie, and now you're contemplating a nap while we have to roll around in the dirt."