Chapter 22

"There is a pack border ahead, so I'm assuming it's the Greenvale Pack," Conrad said, sniffing the air.

"How do we approach a pack? I've never had to do this before," I admitted.

"The polite approach is to howl by the border and wait until a patrol arrives."

We kept going until Conrad stopped and raised his head as he gave a long, almost bored-sounding howl. A volley of howls rang back through the trees – patrols or other fighters heading our way. Vera put the basket down beside herself and I hopped out. I walked between her front legs and sat down as my ears perked up.

Conrad and several of the others shifted into their human form, presenting less of a threat to the pack while also allowing them to communicate.

We didn't have to wait long before several wolves appeared between the trees in front of us. I blinked and stared at them as small differences caught my eyes. Their fur was almost puffy, and they looked like they had just eaten a large meal.

It took me a few moments to remember that my previous pack members had looked like this. These were fit pack wolves, but I had gotten accustomed to my friends' sleek, lean appearance – both ferals and rogues lived a much more physically demanding life, and it showed.

Two of the approaching wolves shifted. One of them asked, "What is your business here?"

"We are wondering if this is the Greenvale pack," Conrad replied.

"It is." His reply was oddly short, although he might possibly be waiting for more reinforcements to get to this area in case we attacked.

"Do you know what happened to the Woodhurst pack? We went to visit them, but it looks like the packhouse burnt down."

"That's what happened."

"Do you know where the pack members went? I assume Mary and a few others came here."

With the name drop, the man paused, likely mindlinking several people, before finally replying, "They scattered. A few came here if they had relatives already in our pack."

Conrad hesitated, then sighed, bluntly saying, "I know the packhouse didn't just burn down. I also know that Julie wasn't killed by a hawk like that joke of a Beta claimed – that was a ruse so those three lawless rogues posing as traders could kidnap her. They also lit the fire and killed the Beta Merric before fatally wounding Alpha Sorrin."

The men and wolves facing us froze as shock, realization, and confusion danced across their expressions and minds.

"How do you know this?" the man demanded.

Conrad glanced back at me, and as we had discussed, I told them, "Because I'm Julie. Can you please let Mary and Mazie know I'm alive?" Considering my aura was keeping them a bit calmer, I was surprised they hadn't noticed it.

He stared at me for a long moment. "They want to know for sure that you are Julie and not just someone posing as her in some elaborate assassin scheme. This is their question: which wolf did you torment the most last time Mazie visited?"

"Really? An imposter? How many brown Comforters could possibly be running around in no man's land? Besides, that is a trick question. It's a toss-up between Mazie and Anabel, although if Mazie asked that question, then I clearly have not stuffed enough mice under her pillows. Did she ever find the bat I hid in her hair dryer before she left?"

A smile broke out on his face as he relaxed and grinned at us. "They say there is no doubt that you are Julie. They are extremely happy you're alive, and they are coming here as fast as they can run."