𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝒆𝓻 𝟏𝟎

It was reassuring to be warm under the blanket, in a comfortable and cozy bed. Jaessa knew how lucky she was to find herself in such a luxurious place. She had been a slave since birth and never before her meeting with the young Hux had she been entitled to such preferential treatment. She had always lived in dark, damp and cold places with a hard mattress as a bed. She had never had as much food to eat as she had in four years and she even had the pleasure of enjoying a daily shower.

Even if the days were not resting, even wearing sometimes, she felt good. Her little boy brought her such happiness in her daily life that she found the strength to stand up just to see him smile, just to enjoy his presence. She was relieved to see that Armitage's father stayed relatively far away from them, most of the time he saw his son in a sudden wind to make sure he was growing up well and was studious... Nothing more than that. This kind of behaviour was difficult to explain to a four-year-old child, especially when she didn't understand it herself. At least he was staying away, and according to her it was a good thing.

Nevertheless, she could not help but be saddened when the boy realized that his father never came to see him. He was not stupid and despite his young age he noticed things... And his father's behaviour towards him hurt him a lot. She naively thought that as long as she was there for him, his pain would be reduced. However, she could never completely erase her mental wounds, despite all her good will.

But for the time being she was in a deep and restorative sleep, just like Armitage and Milicent who were both sleeping like dormitories. Nothing could have prepared them for the events that would follow.

The academy's deaf and powerful alarm sounded in all the rooms, causing a deafening noise. No one could have continued to sleep with such ambient noise, that was the goal.

Jaessa woke up with a start and tangled her legs in the duvet as she tried to get out of bed. She pushed the blanket with a sharp gesture to get rid of her clothes and put her feet on the ground to run and catch Armitage who had started crying. He was terrified of the alarm but also sounded that he had been woken up so suddenly. She had no idea what was going on, it was serious without a doubt... Or maybe it was an exercise. There's no way to know at the moment.

She quickly dressed her son in warm clothes while he tried to cover his ears with his hands, crying hot tears. She tried to reassure him by cuddling him, but it turned out to be more complicated than she thought.

- Mommy's here, Armi don't cry, it's okay. She said in a very soft voice, that she was trying to make it as convincing as possible.

She was not very reassured but she wanted to look good in front of her child, so we shouldn't panic at the risk of making the situation worse. She calmed her tremors by breathing slowly, while rocking her little boy to calm his anguish and tears. And it seemed to be working little by little. Suddenly the door opened and Brendol Hux appeared in the empty space. He took a quick look at Jaessa and Armitage and addressed the girl in a panicked and slightly out of breath voice.

- We have to leave right now! Rebel ships have entered the atmosphere, they'll be here any minute! Take Armitage with you and join the ship in hangar 4 as soon as possible.

-Rebels.... Here? Jaessa whispered in shock.

- Dad, I'm scared! The little boy cried as he sobbed as the alarm was still sounding throughout the building.

- Be brave, son. He replied coldly, barely looking at her. Get to the hangar, hurry up! He shouted at the girl's attention.

- Yes, sir, right away!

She tightens her grip around her little boy to prevent him from falling. She kissed his forehead before bending over to stuff some clothes in a big bag, as well as his son's cuddly toy. Once the latter was finished, she walked with a quick step, with Armitage in her arms, to the hangar where a man was waiting for them. He was dressed as a bounty hunter and was a rather handsome boy, Jaessa thought. His skin was light, his hair black raven... He had such confidence, the girl said to herself. She gave him a little smile while gently stroking her son's back as he continued to sob, his face hidden on his mother's shoulder.

- You better get on board, Miss, we don't have much time. Suggested the bounty hunter by extending him a gallant hand.

Jaessa nodded, grabbed the hand of the bounty hunter named Mercurial Swift and entered the ship. She looked for an isolated room to try to calm Armitage who was still crying. She held him tenderly against her, whispering reassuring and sweet words to him. She passed her hands through her son's red hair to gently massage her skull and try to soothe it.

After a few minutes of stroking her child's head, she decided to search the bag she had prepared to take out his plush and give it to him. Armitage grabbed his blanket in his little hands to squeeze it all against his face, soaking the fabric with warm tears.

- Mom, why are we leaving the house? Asked the little boy with a touch of worry in his voice.

- Because it's getting too dangerous here, baby, we're going to get to safety somewhere else.

In front of her son's questioning mine she didn't know what else to say. She didn't want to frighten him, especially not, so she deliberately ignored the imminent arrival of the Rebels. She stroked his cheek tenderly with her fingertips when suddenly the alarm, which had remained activated until now, suddenly went off...giving way to a long and anxious silence.

It was quickly interrupted by the deafening noise of an X-Wing engine, then a second one. No one dared to move during this first passage. The little boy had taken refuge behind his plush, his mother had rushed to take him in her arms and reassure him.

A first explosion was heard in the distance. The Rebels were bombing the academy. Thousands of people were still there and when Jaessa realized it, she was petrified with horror. Tears came from her eyes and she prayed inwardly for the survival of her fellow slaves, students... These people were innocent!

Another explosion. Armitage screamed in horror and stood up sharply, he watched his mother stuttering.... His sobbing prevented him from expressing himself properly.

- Mi...Mi... Millie mom!

Jaessa put her hands against her mouth when she realized that in her flight she had forgotten the kitty. She couldn't bring herself to let that fur ball die in the middle of the explosions. She knelt in front of her son, looked him straight in the eyes before kissing his cheek and whispering:

- Don't move from here, I'll get her. Promise you won't move.

- Yes, Mom.... I promise.

She tenderly hugged her son for several seconds before standing up, giving him one last look and running out of the ship. As she reached the end of the bridge she felt that her arm was being grabbed.

- Where the hell are you going?! You're crazy, the building is collapsing under the bombs!