𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝒆𝓻 𝟐𝟎

Armitage had recovered well from his various injuries. He had left the infirmary after three days and had already resumed his military training. His days were scheduled, no place for the unexpected. Fortunately, his father did not inflict any further sessions of torture resistance. He thought that his son was not worth it, that he had been weak... As usual. And yet, even if he had fainted after twenty minutes, the boy had not failed in his mission. He had kept to himself the information he was not to disclose. It made him proud.

The morning always began with a regular shower at 6 a.m., followed by breakfast in the cafeteria. After that, the young man and his classmates would go to the training room. Thirty minutes of running, various physical exercises to harden up. Another half hour of racing. And even more exercises. This little ritual lasted until mid-morning. The cadets were then given a short break. They finished the morning with a theoretical lesson. Slideshows explaining some of the most important battles and strategies of the former Empire were shown.

After the lunch break, classes resumed. They spent several months on various activities. Blaster shooting, T.I.E. fighter piloting, close combat, strategy and warfare courses. Courses about the history of the Empire and some other methodically chosen periods.

The day ended with a last meal before the 10:00 p.m. curfew. Armitage never had time to get bored or think of anything other than his training. He worked tirelessly to be the best. He was targeting the most prestigious positions. He was aware that it would take him years to climb up the hierarchy. But he was more determined than ever. All those who had no hope in him would be witnesses to his success. His father in particular. He wanted to prove him that he was more important and useful than he wanted to believe. Patience would be his best ally to reach the end of the road.

There was at least one person who believed in his potential, the Amirale Sloane had been his greatest support for all these years. He was thinking about memories of the past in her presence as he walked into her office. Both of them had established a little routine. Three times a week they took the time to get together. During these interviews Sloane told him about life in the days of his glorious Empire. She listened to him talk about his days, his progress. She gave him advice on how to achieve his goals.

It was also she who introduced him to a drink, which the young man now considered his favourite drink: tarine tea. It was quite complicated to get it, the tarine leaves only grew on two planets. Lothal and Batuuu respectively. Nevertheless, the Amirale had an impressive reserve of them. This tea, not very popular in the galaxy, had the particularity of being very bitter. It could keep his drinker awake for hours. This was very useful for long study evenings. He didn't count the hours, and certainly he often lacked sleep... But he knew that his hard work would one day be rewarded.

When he reached Sloane's office door he hit the steel panel several times. The owner of the room had a big smile on her face when she saw him:

- Come in Armitage, I was waiting for you!

He didn't ask for anything and entered this room, which he was beginning to know well. He sat in an armchair facing the Admiral, who was already searching his furniture. She took out a bag full of tea leaves and ordered her protocol droid to prepare the hot drinks.

She then sat down in front of her little protégé and said, amused:

- I don't even ask you what you want to drink anymore.

- Indeed, I do enjoy this drink. But that's not the only reason I'm here.

- I had no doubt about that for a second. She replied, before adding. I have something important to talk to you about.

- I'm listening to you. Says Armitage

The two smoky drinks arrived on the table. Both came forward to pick up their respective cups. The young man tasted his drink with his lips, he passed his tongue through it to delight his taste buds with this particular taste.

- Your father asked me to lead an expedition with some stormtroopers to Arkanis. I'd like you to come with me, Armitage.

When the name of his homeworld was mentioned, the teenager's fingers tightened around his burning cup. His heart began to beat unreasonably. He had never set foot on that planet again and he never thought he would have to do so one day. It was in her womb that her mother's life had ended. It was there that rebels... No, monsters had destroyed his life. Had deprived him of a roof over his head and a mother's love.

Surprised by the heat burning in his palm, he let go of a swearword. He clumsily rested his cup, spilling a few drops on the table.

- Forgive me, I don't know what he took from me.

- I do have an idea... If this is too hard for you, I understand. But it would have been an opportunity to support me and have a little experience in the field.

Armitage considered the proposal for a few seconds. It would indeed be foolish to waste an opportunity like this... Even if returning to the planet of his childhood was going to be a challenge. He took a deep breath, drank a few sips of tea before answering:

- I will accompany you, and I will be able to prove to you that I am capable of assisting you.

- I trust you, Armitage. She assured herself by drinking in turn. We leave tomorrow at 5:00 a. m., don't stay up too late. I want you fresh for the departure.

- I'll be in good shape tomorrow. May I ask what this expedition is about? He questioned

- Of course. Our mission is to recover the archives of the Imperial Academy, at least what will remain of them.

Armitage drank a long sip of tea to finish his drink. He was going to have to show courage to return to the places where his mother had lost her life. He was afraid he would have to search the rubble with the soldiers and Sloane... To make a macabre discovery. The anguish was rising more and more and more and his throat was tightened. He couldn't help but ask in a slightly shaky voice:

- It's the soldiers who will search the academy, isn't it?

- Of course, we will supervise them from the camp.

He was relieved to hear his answer. Going to Arkanis was already painful enough, there was no need to add to that the exploration of the ruined academy. He was going to have to perform his role as a second in Sloane's life, which was an additional stress for him. This was his first official mission. Being able to live up to what was expected of him was his top priority. But she trusted him, he should not doubt his abilities. Today, he was ready to prove himself. Ready to face the ghosts of his past.