Chapter 2

AMERICA'S POV

AMERICA'S POV

While Dr. Cho tends to Clint, I pick a spot on the counter and begin to refresh myself on those books Tony gave me. I like Bruce's lab more than Tony's. It's open and modern, not to mention more organized. More like Bruce. The books he sent are all about computer sciences and artificial intelligence, and I want to be able to contribute however I can if he asks. He believes I can understand this. He has faith in me. It still feels like I'm trying to prove to both myself and the team that I deserve to be here.

"How's he doing?" Bruce asks, nodding to Clint. The science Dr. Cho uses is one I don't really understand, where the tissue meshes with other material. I'm better versed in physics. I've stolen most of Tony's physics library.

"Oh, unfortunately, he's still Barton," Tony quips. 

"That's terrible." Bruce grins, and so does Clint.

"He's fine. He's thirsty," Tony says, coming over to the area I'm currently occupying. He claps his hands together in anticipation. "Look alive, JARVIS. It's playtime. We've only got a couple days with this joystick so let's make the most of it. Update me on the structural and compositional analysis."

JARVIS comes alive in his holographic form and begins to run the analysis. "The scepter is alien. There are elements I can't quantify."

"So there's elements you can?"

"The jewel appears to be a protective housing for something inside. Something powerful."

"Like a reactor?" I ask, interested. Tony glances back at me with a surprised expression. "I did the reading. Never graduated from high school, but I know what I'm talking about."

"You're a freak of nature, you know that? But it's good. We're gonna need that."

"For what?" He ignores my question and turns to JARVIS.

"Like a computer. I believe I'm deciphering code."

"You sure he's going to be okay?" Natasha asks, a sparkle of mischief in her dark eyes. "Pretending to need this guy really brings the team together."

"There's no possibility of deterioration. The nano-molecular functionality is instantaneous. His cells don't know they're bonding with simulacrum," Dr. Cho replies while examining her work. I only understood about half of that, but I get the idea.

"She's creating tissue," Bruce explains. Nat nods.

"If you brought him to my lab, the regeneration Cradle could do this in twenty minutes," Dr. Cho says with a hint of pride.

"Oh, he's flatlining," Tony jokes, bringing over a tray of cups. I grab one. "Call it. Time?"

"4:58!" I call from my spot.