Chapter 42

AMERICA'S POV

AMERICA'S POV

No one says anything as I stare. I'm still trying to process it. It doesn't make sense. I have a metal hand. When I said I was going to chop it off on the jet, I was joking.

"What- what happened?" I finally mumble, still shell-shocked.

Steve pulls me close for a hug. "Well, you saw the burn. The nerve damage was too extensive in your hand after it to fix. They thought a prosthetic would be the best thing for you, and we agreed. It only goes to your wrist."

I flex my fingers, watching the afternoon light glint on my hand. It doesn't feel any different. "So how long have I been hand-less?"

"A few hours," Anna says. "It's kind of cool. You just joined a gang." Grinning, she holds up her metal hand, and after a minute, Bucky does the same.

"Yeah, I guess. It'll take some getting used to," I murmur. At least it wasn't the whole arm. "We're in Wakanda now, right?"

"Yes," Sam says, nodding.

"How long before someone realizes we're here? Can they find us? Is it safe?"

"Actually, I don't think we're going to stay," Steve says. "I've been thinking about it a lot. We're not going to be welcomed back into the Avengers or anything, but I still want to do good in this world. I don't think I could stay here and sit around even if I wanted to."

"We'd be on the run from the law," I say seriously. "Ross'll be looking for us all, especially me. We'd have to keep moving constantly. It wouldn't be easy."

"I didn't say it would be easy. I said I'd rather keep moving than stay sitting here."

"I'm with you, then. Sam?" Sam nods, and I grin. "Buck, Anna? You guys in?"

Bucky sighs, taking Anna's hand. "Actually, no."

"Why?" I ask, confused.

"We've been talking with the king," Anna explains. "They have a way here to get Hydra out of our brains once and for all, to 'fix us.' It's a new technology, and we have to go into cryo to do it safely, but we both want to do it in a few days. I'm sure you could too, if you wanted to."

The idea of never having to worry about an appearance from the Night Wind ever again tempts me more than I want to let on, especially because of the last few days, but one look at Steve makes me realize that I can't do it. I've recovered over the years better than either of them, anyway. "No, I'm good."

"When are you guys leaving?" Bucky asks. I turn my attention to Steve, considering he seems to have a decent plan.

"Soon. We need to find Nat, too. She saved us, so she'll be on government lists. We owe it to her."

"I agree. We need to find her." I bite my lip as someone else comes to mind. "Where's Wanda?"

"She and Vision hightailed it out after Cap broke us out of the Raft," Sam says. Wanda and Vision? "I wouldn't worry about them. They'll be fine."

"Okay." Sam's right. She'll be safe with Vision. Actually, Vision will be safe with her.

"We leave early tomorrow morning," Steve says, looking to Sam and I for confirmation. We both nod.

Slowly, the group disperses, and Steve and I end up taking a walk outside. The sunset creates a beautiful silhouette of a Black Panther statue in the distance. A warm breeze blows my hair back away from my face. He takes my hand, my metal hand, and smiles.

"You're not scared or weirded out by this?" I ask, holding up our entwined hands. "Not at all?"

He shakes his head. "Why would I be? It's you."

"But isn't it odd?"

"Yes, but that doesn't matter to me. I didn't used to look like this, after all." He looks me in the eyes earnestly. "You're still you."

"Ugh, you're the best. I'm still completely weirded out by it."

"I would be, too, but you'll get used to it." He snags a blue flower from a nearby tree and tucks it behind my ear. "For you."

"Thank you," I say, smiling, but it quickly fades. "This is gonna be rough, Steve. Who knows how long we'll be hiding."

"We'll long as it takes. Hopefully not forever." He clears his throat, uncertain about something. "I wrote to Tony yesterday."

"Oh?" Tony tried to lock me up and is the reason I have a vibranium hand, so I'm not sure what to make of this information.

"It wasn't full of heartfelt apologies or anything. We did what we felt we had to do. I just said I was sorry things worked out this way, and if he ever needed us, we'd be out there somewhere."

"Wow," I say softly. "That's amazing. I'm still so angry. I wish I had your capability to forgive."

"I'd be angry, too, if I were you. I don't necessarily have that. I just want to be able to move on without feeling so mad."

"That's a good way to look at it, I guess." I grin as I imagine the four of us evading the law all over the world. It's dangerous, but there's something so exciting about the idea. "You know, if there's one thing I know how to do, it's run."

"That's right," Steve says thoughtfully. "You were still on the run when I met you."

"When I took that bullet, you mean," I joke. "If I hadn't hopped out from behind that car, I probably would still be hiding out in New York."

"Then I'm glad you got shot." He winks. "I've got to say, while I'm happy that Buck and Anna are getting help, I'm glad you decided to sit that particular adventure out."

"Steve, someone needs to keep an eye on you and Sam. You two wouldn't last a single day on the streets without me."

"Oh, is that why?" He grins, pulling me close to him by the waist. "Really, Mer, you're killing me."

"I want to be able to annoy you every single day." We're so close that our noses almost touch.

"Anything else?"

"Hmm. I love you?"

"There's the right answer, doll." He presses his lips to mine as the sun sinks low in the sky. I close my eyes and savor the last night I won't need to constantly be looking over my shoulder.

THE END