Chapter 10

AMERICA'S POV

AMERICA'S POV

We arrive just in time to find Steve and Ultron battling it out inside a speeding train full of civilians. Not a good combo. Wanda uses her powers to create a barrier between Ultron and the group of us. When he notices us, specifically the twins, he sighs. 

"Don't do this." It's pathetic.

"What choice do we have?" Wanda growls, a darkness to her voice I didn't expect. Betrayal. Ultron aims a blast at Pietro and I, we both duck and he takes off, flying away. Steve runs to the front of the train, and I immediately follow him. The driver's completely unconscious, and the train is barreling too quickly and off-rails.

"Civilians in our path," Steve says. Pietro and I nod, and we're both off, moving people out of the way to help them. It's again a flurry of motion, my speed up against the clock to save the lives of others. Adrenaline rushes through my veins as I weave my way through crowds, relocating all of them. And through a powerful red swirl of magic, the broken-down train slows to a stop. I lean over to catch my breath. There were a lot of people, even with two of us. A steady hand pulls me up. I sigh with relief when I see Steve is okay, and so are the others. Pietro is also bent over, and Wanda quietly questions if he'll be okay.

"I'm fine. I just need to take a minute."

"I'm very tempted not to give you one." He turns to me and mutters in my ear, "are you okay?"

"Yeah, just a bit tired." He nods.

"The Cradle," Wanda says, stepping away from her - our - brother. "Did you get it?"

"Tony'll take care of it," I say wearily. That's his job. My part of this is supposedly over for now. 

"No, he won't." Steve and I both stare at Wanda, clearly uncomfortable.

"You don't know what you're talking about," Steve says. He shakes his head. "Stark's not crazy."

"He will do anything to make things right."

Understanding dawns on the two of us at the same moment. I can't believe Tony didn't learn the first time. Actually, I can, I just don't want to. "Stark, come in. Stark. Anyone on comms?" Steve asks, but no one responds. All we hear is silence and static. 

"Ultron can't tell the difference between saving the world and destroying it. Where do you think he gets that?"

———

We find Bruce and Tony exactly where Wanda predicted, creating another bot that will kill us all. "I'm gonna say this once," Steve warns. "Shut it down." 

"Nope, not gonna happen," Tony says, going about his work like he's making a cup of coffee. 

"You don't know what you're doing!" I insist, stepping forward.