Chapter 39

AMERICA'S POV

AMERICA'S POV

"Come on!" I hear Steve yell from across the airport. I kick up the speed so I'm running stride-by-stride next to him towards the Quinjet. However, a bright yellow beam of energy slices the ground in front of us, preventing our quick escape. Vision slowly descends from the sky as we come to a halt.

"Captain Rogers, I know you believe what you're doing is right. But for the collective good, you must surrender now."

"Steve, what do we do?" I mumble under my breath, keeping my eyes on our approaching opponents. They all line up across from us.

I see the faintest trace of sorrow in his eyes. "We fight."

I take a deep breath as we all move closer, inches and seconds away from what will most likely be the final conflict.

Everything seems to happen at once. Tony lands a punch that Steve narrowly blocks with his shield, Scott runs after Natasha, Bucky and Anna take on T'Challa. I spend my time dodging Pietro's punches until Wanda guiltily uses her powers to throw him against a wall, giving me a minute to get away. I spot Steve being webbed up by Spider-Man and head that way. As I arrive, Steve summersaults in the air and Spider-Man retreats to the top of a gangway.

"Stark tell you anything else?" He asks.

"That you're wrong, you think you're right, and you'll do anything to protect her. That makes you dangerous." He flips and swings under, aiming a kick, but Steve kicks him back into a gangway.

"I guess he had a point." He launches the shield, breaking the gangway. I gasp as Spider-Man holds it up above his head as it threatens to crush him. I can't imagine how heavy that must be. "You've got heart, kid. Where're you from?"

"Queens," he manages to get out.

Steve smiles a bit. "Brooklyn."

We take off, but not before I slap him in the face. "Hey, what was that?"

"You dropped that gangway on a kid? He could have died!"

"Why does this matter? We've got to get out of here!"

Steve and I duck behind a parked airplane to catch our breath, with Bucky across from us doing something similar.

"We gotta go. That guy's probably in Siberia by now," he says.

"We gotta draw out the flyers," Steve says. "I'll take Vision. You two get to the jet."

"How are you going to take Vision?" I ask skeptically. "Blast him with patriotism?"

"No, you get to the jet! The three of you! The rest of us aren't getting out of here." Sam's words strike a chord deep within me.

How long will I keep running? Pietro's right. One day I'll run out of places to hide.

"As much as I hate to admit it, if we're gonna win this one, some of us might have to lose it," Clint says.

"This isn't the real fight, Steve," Anna adds. Bucky seems torn when he hears her voice, causing me to wonder if something is going on between the two of them.

Steve sighs, accepting the truth of our friends' words. "Alright, Sam, what's the play?"

"We need a diversion, something big."

"I got something kind of big!" Scott volunteers from somewhere. I think he's still small. "But I can't hold it very long. On my signal, run. And if I tear myself in half, don't come back for me."

Bucky's eyes go wide. "He's gonna tear himself in half?"

"You sure about this, Scott?" Steve asks.

"I do it all the time. I mean once! In a lab. Then I passed out." I send Steve an uncertain look as I stand. Scott seems to forget that we're all still connected, considering I can hear him repeatedly muttering, "I'm the boss. I'm the boss. I'm the boss. I'm the boss. I'm the BOSS!"

Scott grows to the size of a building, grabbing Rhodey by the leg as he laughs. I laugh, too, because for once, the odds seem to be on our size. "Guess that's the signal," I say, stunned into smiling.

The three of us run through the airport, dodging falling debris and parts of broken vehicles. We must be thirty feet from the hangar doors when a beam slashes through a tall tower building and begins to fall. Red swirls of power hold the collapsing building up for us to make it through, thanks to Wanda, but Rhodes fires some sort of sonic blast at her. I hear her yell of agony and whip around, terrified beyond belief.

"Wanda!" I scream, tears in my eyes as my feet move to go back for her. Steve shoves me forward as a large piece of metal nearly lands on me.

"GO!" We just make it in before the building collapses. And out of the shadows steps Natasha. She looks at us all carefully.

"You're not gonna stop." It's a statement, not a question.

Steve shakes his head. "You know I can't."

"I'm gonna regret this," she groans, aiming her wrist stunners not at us, but at T'Challa, who falls to the ground. "Go."

As soon as we get on, Steve runs to the cockpit, flipping all of the necessary switches and knobs to get us into the air. I never learned to fly, so I stick to the window, watching Natasha stun T'Challa over and over to buy us time. The jet lifts into the air and soars out of the airport, away from all of our friends and our old friends.

"Steve, they're following us," I say, referencing Tony and Rhodes. He pushes forward on the thrusters, giving us the extra speed we need. I glance away for a second, and when I look back, they're gone. "I think we lost them."

We all breathe a sigh of relief mixed with other emotions, emotions that none of us want to go into.

I find some medication on board in the back, trying to keep the ache from my concussion at bay. During the fight, adrenaline shunned the pain from my conscious, but in the silence of the aftermath, it all comes back. And it hurts. There's also a big bruise forming on my side from where Pietro kicked me.

"Doll, you okay?" Steve asks, turning away from the controls. I perch on the top of the seat next to him, nodding.

"Yeah, I'll be fine. I did ever end up seeing a medic, you know." My joke is feeble. No one, me included, laughs. I'm too busy thinking about everyone we left behind, specifically Wanda. What's going to happen to her? What if they hurt her? I could have ran back and I didn't. What kind of sister does that make me?

"What's gonna happen to your friends?" Bucky asks, speaking for the first time in a few hours.

Steve keeps his eyes on the sky as a distraction. "Whatever it is, I'll deal with it."

"I don't know if I'm worth all this, Steve."

"What you did all those years... it wasn't you. You didn't have a choice."

"But I did it."

I bite my lip and pull down my sleeve to stare at my brand. "I did, too."

Wrote this one really fast, but inspiration came quick! I hope you like it!