Chapter 25

AMERICA'S POV

AMERICA'S POV

Snow lightly descends from the clouds as we hurry into the church. Thank God there aren't any cameras. So far, we're in the clear. It looks like we're going to have a white Christmas. The moment we step inside Natasha rushes off to check on the guys and Wanda shepherds me into a side room for any final touch-ups. There's really nothing to fix, so we just sit in silence, both of us deep in thought. There are only a few minutes left. It'll be nice to have a real last name again. I watch the snow fall through the window until someone knocks.

"Can I come in?" Sam asks through the door.

"Yeah, it's open."

He walks in and immediately gives me a hug. "You look fantastic."

"Thank you. So do you." I pull away. "Is it time? I thought we still had ten minutes until four."

"We do, but I need you to come see something first," he says. His eyes meet Wanda's in understanding. Whatever this is, she obviously knows about it.

"Okay."

"I'm going to find Natasha and Pietro. I'll see you soon." She waves before running off.

"We need to go this way," he says.

"Hey, Sam? Thanks for being here. It means a lot to me." I think about how we only met about eight months ago, and he's quickly become one of the most important people in my life. "I just wanted you to know... there aren't a lot of people I fully trust, but I trust you and love you like a brother. You've helped Steve and I out so much these last few months, so I just wanted to say thank you." He shrugs the compliment off, but there's a small smile on his lips.

"You and Steve are my best friends. I wouldn't miss this." He leads me down the hallway into an empty room. "You go in here." Confused, I do as he says. He shuts the door, but there's no one in here. I even walk around to check. No one. It's basically a storage closet.

"Sam?" I ask hesitantly through the door. "You still there?"

"Mer?" I immediately draw close to the door, heart racing.

"Steve?"

"Hey, doll." I can hear the smile in his voice, and I lean against the door, certain that he's doing the same thing. "Was this your idea?"

I shake my head, but he can't see that. "No. I thought it was yours."

"It must've been Wanda or Sam, then. I'm glad they came up with it, I missed you. How was your morning?"

"Good. Really good. We had a lot of fun. And so was last night. I saw Coldplay!"

"I saw Tony jump out of a window, so I think I win."

I laugh. "So that actually happened?"

"Yes. Yes, it did." He chuckles. "You ready for this, doll?"