Chapter 33

AMERICA'S POV

I've never been to Romania as far as I can remember. I can't tell if I like it. Maybe under different circumstances, I'd feel comfortable, but as the sun rises over Bucharest, all I feel is nerves. This could be a dead end, and then the UN will find me, and who knows what will happen.

I weave my way through the crowded market, keeping my head down. My hoodie may hide my signature coppery hair, but it's not at all a good disguise. I search for familiar faces to no avail. Bucharest was the only lead I had. No specifics.

I check my phone for what feels like the hundredth time in the last hour. Still no word from Steve. I'm on my own. 

A little girl with blonde pigtails runs past me to a flower stand, eyeing the roses longingly. I smile and approach the woman selling them.

"How much for one?" I ask in Romanian, praying that I worded my request correctly. I'm multilingual, but I'm rusty with a lot of my languages.

"Five." I count out the coins and hand it to the woman before plucking a pink rose out of the bunch. Smiling, I turn to the little girl and bend down.

"For you." Her green eyes light up as I offer her the flower.

"Mama! Look!" She calls, giggling as she runs through the crowd. I grin, straighten up and brush my pants off. Kids are so innocent. It's a shame they have to grow up.

I grew up too fast. I didn't have a choice.

I bump into someone while trying to leave. I turn, ready to apologize, but instead, I stare. Everything around me freezes.

The young woman who ran into me stares back with wide, blue eyes. Her light brown hair is swept up into a ponytail, and she keeps one hand in her coat pocket at all time. 

The Winter Warrior.

I'm sure it's her. And judging by her expression, she recognizes me, too.

She tilts her head to the side and immediately takes off. I understand and follow her until we've reached an abandoned alleyway. There, she turns to me.

"Is it really you?" She whispers, not daring to believe herself. "Night Wind?"

"You're the Winter Warrior," I breathe. "I can't believe you're here. What- how are you here?"

"I can't believe I'm actually seeing you again." I wonder whether I should hug her or not, but it's not really the time. "You escaped. A while later, I did the same."

"I'm not Night Wind anymore. Call me America," I say, holding out a hand. She takes it, and through the glove, I feel her metal fingers.

"I'm Anna."

My eyes widen. "Anna?"

"Yes," she says slowly. "Is something wrong?"

I break our handshake and pull up the corner of my shirt.