Chapter 16

AMERICA'S POV

AMERICA'S POV

"America, come on! You're supposed to be the quick one!" Nat complains, dragging me down the busy streets of New York. I grin at Wanda's awed expression as she takes in all of the lights and billboards. It's her first time in the city. We've really bonded in these last few weeks. I've been trying to make up for lost time with my younger sister. This is the first time I've been out since my injury. I'm not completely healed, but I'm almost there.

"We've got to get into a shop before the paparazzi find us," I say from experience. Obviously, the press knows that Steve and I are engaged, but we're keeping all of the details as under-wraps as possible. If they heard about our dress shopping trip, I know we'd make the tabloids. And that's the last thing I want.

"Right up here." Nat points to a bridal shop and ushers the two of us in before closing the door on the howling October wind. A woman at the register perks up as we enter.

"Ah! You must be today's clients!" She says excitedly, clapping her hands together. "Welcome to Dana's Bridal. Which of you lovely ladies is our bride?"

I blush. "Me," I say, holding out a hand to introduce myself. "I'm America Evans."

If she's surprised about any of our identities, she doesn't comment. "Lovely to meet you all. The shop has been rented out privately all day by a T.S., so feel free to browse at your leisure. And if you have any questions, don't hesitate!"

After she leaves, I turn to Nat. "Did Tony rent out the entire store?"

"Yeah. And he paid off extra so the press wouldn't find out." I make a mental note to thank him later.

"Wow," Wanda whispers, running her hands up and down racks of gowns. "They're all so beautiful."

"I don't even know where to start." I don't have any idea what I actually want. "Oh, yeah, I have these for you guys." I fish two invitations out of my bag and hand it to the women, who both open the envelopes eagerly.

"December 24th, huh? You really went Christmas wedding all the way." Natasha smiles as she reads the card. "Where's the church?"

"Saint Augustine's. It's in Brooklyn. Steve's parents got married there." That was his idea, one I loved. We will have no parents at our wedding, and it would be nice to honor them in some way.

Nat nods in approval. "So, what's the game plan? Do you have any ideas?"

"Well, it's a Christmas wedding, like you said. I think you two are going to be in dark red. And for me, I'm up for basically anything. I don't want to show too much skin, though." I'm not ashamed of showing my scars, but no one needs to see them unnecessarily.

Over the next three hours, I try on dress after dress after dress. Dresses with collars and plunging necklines, sleeveless and puffy sleeved, long and short. Nothing makes a lasting impression on me. My patience starts to wear thin as I try on dress number twenty-six (I think), Wanda's pick. I don't even notice anything about it as I pull it on.