Chapter 9

AMERICA'S POV

AMERICA'S POV

"All right, I'm here." Apparently I'm faster than the Quinjet, so I got sent ahead.

"Be careful. Stay out of sight until we get there," Steve instructs. I nod along, but I'm not really listening to him. Inside the room beyond me are a few very familiar voices, which creates a new plan in my mind.

"About that... I have a better idea."

"America-"

"I'll apologize later. For now, you've just gotta trust me."

"America!"

I quickly shut my ear comm of, compose myself, and swallow back any fear. This could go really well or really, really badly. And Steve's going to absolutely murder me if I get shot again.

"How soon? I'm not being pushy." I hate his stupid metal voice. I really do.

"We're imprinting a physical brain. There are no shortcuts. Even if your magic gem is..." I step into the room, focusing everyone's attention on me. No one shoots. Not yet, anyway. Ultron cocks his head in mild interest.

"Looks like big sister is back. What are you going to do, run me away?"

I shake my head, letting my loose curls fall in front of my face. "No, I - I didn't know where else to go." My voice trails off, sounding desperate and forlorn. Perfect.

"I told her to come," Pietro says, glancing over at me. He doesn't even know why, but he's protecting me. Wanda looks at him. I don't think I've said more than five words to her, but she trusts her brother. "I said she'd be safe with us."

"Is that so?" Ultron moves closer to me, but I don't back down. "And why did you come?"

"The Avengers... they aren't as forgiving as they pretend to be. A billionaire with a metal suit makes a mistake and he's welcomed back with open arms. A discarded puppet of Hydra's does the same thing, and they kick her to the curb." I turn away, crossing my arms. "I thought I could trust them, that they were different. But they're all the same. Monsters."

Pietro draws me into his embrace, and I hide there for a moment. He's doing this because he doesn't want to see me hurt. He doesn't know if I'm lying, but he knows how quickly Ultron would break his promise about hurting me if there were any doubts about my allegiances.

"Fair enough. You have a point. They just can't seem to move on, can they?" Ultron sighs. Wanda approaches the cradle, running her ring-clad fingers down its edge. At least she's there and out of my mind. She closes her eyes for a fraction of a second, then screams. Pietro's by her side instantly, me close behind. Her breath is shaky as he runs a hand down her hair, trying to calm his twin down. "Hey, hey, hey," he mutters soothingly. Ultron stands, looking at the pair of them.