Chapter 32

STEVE'S POV

STEVE'S POV

Nat finds me after the funeral. I haven't been able to leave the church. While I'm glad that she's here, I wish it was America. We haven't spoken since yesterday. I don't even think she knows where I am. I'll apologize and explain it all to her later, but this was something I needed to do alone.

"When I came out of the ice..." I start, finding my thoughts. "I thought everyone I had known was gone. Then I found out that she was alive. I was just lucky to have her."

"She had you back, too." Natasha smiles sadly.

"Who else signed?"

She sighs. "Tony, Rhodey, Vision, Pietro." I'm surprised, but not overly surprised. It's like Pietro told me on the Hellicarrier in Sokovia. He just wants to protect his sisters.

"Clint?"

"Says he's retired." She chuckles a little and shakes her head at her friend's decision. There's only so long Clint can stay out of the action.

"Wanda?"

"TBD."

"And... Mer?"

"She signed this morning. She's actually meeting me in Vienna later on today for the signing of the Accords. There's plenty of room in the jet, and I know she'd love to see you. She said you haven't been answering her calls. She's pretty upset about you just disappearing."

It stings to hear that. The worst part is, I know why she did it. She's sick and tired of people treating her like a monster, and I don't blame her, but everything in me is against this. After the whole fiasco with SHIELD and Hydra, it's hard for me to trust any form of government. And I know Mer doesn't, either, but she so badly wants people to trust her.

"Just because it's the path of least resistance doesn't mean it's the wrong path. Staying together is more important than how we stay together," Nat continues, her voice tight. It's almost like she's convincing herself.

"What are we giving up to do it?" I ask, shaking my head. "I'm sorry, Nat. I can't sign it."

"I know."

"Then what are you doing here?"

She gives me a soft, comforting smile. "I didn't want you to be alone." Slowly, she pulls me into a hug.