Chapter 24

AMERICA'S POV

AMERICA'S POV

I'm going to marry him today. It's the only thought running through my brain as Wanda runs a careful brush through my hair. In a few hours, we will be one. She makes idle conversation, to which I mostly respond with one-word answers. I'm just not really paying attention.

Wanda smiles at my daydream state. "Thinking about him?"

"Yeah," I say, a smile settling on my face. "It's really happening, Wan."

"I'm so happy for you. I... I never thought this day would come. When you disappeared, I thought about all of the things we'd never get to do. I didn't think I'd ever see you walk down the aisle." I turn around in my stool and give her a long, tight hug. We're both blessed to be here today, and I don't want to ever take that for granted.

"Did you talk to any of the guys about last night?" I ask her. The girls wouldn't let me talk to any of them all day in case I would accidentally run into Steve. I already got yelled at for trying to go say good morning. She giggles.

"Apparently there were drinks, pool, a movie, and a very intense game of truth or dare."

"Like what? I need details!"

"If Pietro was telling the truth, Mr. Stark jumped out of a window."

"Of course he did," I sigh, chuckling to myself. "Pietro's dare?"

"You bet." She clasps a necklace around my neck, the one Steve gave me in Washington all those months ago. "It's one o'clock now. We need to get you ready for three, the wedding's at four." I know all of this, of course. It's my wedding. But I let her run through the plan anyway. 

"Okay. Where's Nat?"

"Well, she was chewing all of the guys out for getting back at two in the morning. I forget where next. Oh! She and Clint went to make sure everything was set up for the reception. Sam went to go get the suits, Pietro and Steve went for flowers, and I told Eliza it was her job to make sure Tony makes it on time."

"Solid plan," I laugh. "I feel so lazy. I feel like I should be doing something, too."

"Be lazy! You never do that, anyway. And then in a few days, you get to go to Malibu and relax."

I've never been to Malibu. In all my years on the run, I never made it to the West Coast. The closest frame of reference I have is Miami, and I bet it's different. But I'm excited. It'll just be Steve and me, married and on adventures of our own.

Wanda twists different waves of my hair this way and that way, trying to decide what to do with it. Then she smiles as an idea pops into her head. "Close your eyes!" She instructs. I oblige, shaking my head as I do. "We could use some music."