Chapter 14

AMERICA'S POV

AMERICA'S POV

I open my eyes tiredly to find myself in a familiar place, but not one I expected to be in. Bruce's lab, in the Avengers Tower. Hm. And I'm lying in that machine that was used to save Clint after our mission.

"Don't try to sit up yet," a voice instructs, soft yet authoritative. Dr. Cho. She smiles a bit. "You'll hurt yourself. Besides, we're not finished yet."

"You're alive," I say, but my voice catches, creating this rasp that doesn't sound like me. I massage my throat.

"Yes, and so are you." I turn my head to see someone else. Fury. He stands from his chair and approaches me. "How are you feeling, Evans?"

"Like someone shot me, Director."

"Well, someone did."

"Did we win?"

He nods, and I sigh in relief. "Ultron is no longer a threat to humanity. We have the Avengers to thank for that." He walks to the door, his hand hesitating on the doorknob as he remembers something else. "I'll tell the others that you are alert." He leaves without another word.

"You know they're all going to stampede in here in a few minutes, right?" I ask Dr. Cho, who chuckles to herself.

"I'll handle them, don't worry. Are you thirsty?"

"A bit, yeah," I admit. She hands me a glass of lemonade. My favorite. Briefly I wonder if Steve had anything to do with that. "How many times was I shot?"

"Six," she answers. "One in your left shoulder, one in your left upper arm, one in your thigh, and a few scattered around your torso. I'd say you're lucky to be alive, Miss Evans."

"That's what they all say." I stir my lemonade with a straw and take a sip. "Six. That's a new record."

"Is that a good thing?" She asks, amused. She adjusts settings on the regeneration machine, carefully knitting my cells back together.

"I'm not sure. How long will I be out of commission?"

She considers my question with thoughtful eyes. "Well, you lost a major amount of blood. You've been unconscious for two days now. The machine will regenerate your skin cells, but because there was so much work to do, it's going to take you a little while to get back on your feet. You'll probably still be pretty sore and bruised even after I am done." She entere something into the system, and the machine stops. "I'm sure you'll want to greet them when they come. Take it easy, though."

"I will." Swinging my legs over the edge, I sit up cautiously, ignoring the dull ache in my abdomen. I open my mouth to ask more of my never-ending questions, but they get cut off. The team filters through the door, Steve and Pietro leading the charge. "Um, hi!"