13 Discovery

Pic of Alexis above

When I opened my eyes in the morning, I felt like all the weight of the world was pressing on my shoulders. I was still on the couch where we passed out yesterday, but Alexis was long gone.

My head was killing me, but I guess that's what you get for drinking all night. I had no idea where Alexis found her strength to wake up and go to work. She was the definition of dedication and hardworking.

I stood up and went to grab some painkillers. Then I needed to sleep this headache away. That was my grand, two-step-plan for today.

Looking around at the mess in my bedroom, I felt guilty that I didn't tell Lex about my move out. I threw everything from my bed to the floor and lay down under the covers. The last thought before I passed out, was that I needed to do the stand-up thing and come clean to Alexis today.

Waking up second time this day feeling much better, gave me the strength to pack my bags and few boxes with everything I have. Weird, but I felt happy to return to my house where all my clothes and other close to my heart things were. I remembered all the precious shoes I left behind when I run from Patrick.

When I was done with packing, it was six o'clock already. It was time to call Alexis and Patrick. I choose to get done with the worst first and dialed Alexis' number.

"Hi Lex," I greeted cheerfully, trying to hide my nerves when she picked up. "Let's meet up for dinner at our usual, I need to tell you something."

"Ok, be there in 15 minutes." She agreed easily.

"Great, see ya." I grabbed my car keys and headed out.

Our usual spot was a small family-owned Italian restaurant with home wine and most delicious pasta, lasagne, and ice cream you had ever tasted. Cozy light, candles on small tables, and a big fireplace, where they cook the most cheesy pizza ever, setting you in a peaceful mood. 

That was my clever plan. After Alexis heard all about my moving out, I would calm her down with food and wine. If that didn't work I would step up a notch and give her her favorite dessert – tiramisu – and she wouldn't be that pissed off. Because, you know, no one could be pissed off while eating sweets.

Entering the restaurant I was greeted with the owner himself. He showed me to our usual table near the window. Alexis wasn't here yet, so I ordered for both of us, perfectly sure what she liked.

Spotting me with food already served on the table, as soon as she entered, she waved and strode to me with a smile on her face.

"It was way too long when I last ate here. It's good you suggested this. I thought I would need to pull you out from that apartment with force or bribing you with a pair of new shoes. And here you are! All smiley and beautiful..." She cut her self off and looked at me suspiciously. "Don't tell me you're with Ryan again." She pointed an accusing finger at me, looking all shades of threatening.

"No! No." I repeated more calmly. "I would never do that after all the lies he fed me."

She nodded and started eating her pasta with seafood moaning with every bite. I figured that it would be totally mean to spoil this moment for her with my bullshit and started eating too. After we were half done with our food and wine I decided it was time.

"Lex, I moving out of this apartment." I spilled in one breath.

"Okay..."

"I have no saved money, no job and I'm crushed right now and heartbroken. So, while I would be recovering and looking for a new job, I decided to return to my house."