Coffee

"Will that be all for you today?" You ask typing in the price in your cash register. He's been here for a week straight and ordered the same thing at the same time each day. Of course this is all he wants.

He nods and you exchange his drink with his money and you both continue your days as usual.

A month passes with the same routine. Every now and then you exchange a conversation while making his coffee. Though this doesn't happen often, it warms your heart when anyone stops for a conversation.

You wait patiently for another customer to come through the door. Specifically him.

As soon as he comes in you smile. "Hey Mike. Same as always?" You ask starting to make his coffee.

He nods, not saying much as always. You had it made in seconds and ready to give to him. You were holding out the coffee cup but he was engraved on his phone with a worried look.

You set the cup down "everything okay?" You don't want to pry and regret asking as soon as he looks up coldly taking his drink.

"I'm fine" he says in a low, mumbly tone. You bite your bottom lip confused. He did mention something about his parents one day but the topic popped up and left as soon as it was brought up.

Seconds later Mike was gone.

After that day Mike hasn't been coming to the coffee shop every morning. It seemed like once a month he would come in, go to the other worker, and leave.

You were sure you did nothing wrong but you couldn't help but feel a bit of doubt creep in. Was it something you said? You try to think of all the conversations you and Mike have shared but nothing seemed to strike a nerve.

"Ding ding ding" As you're snapped from your thoughts you see a line of people waiting for their coffee.

Shoot. You'd been daydreaming during rush hour. Rookie mistake.

"Hi sorry for the wait. What would you like?" You ask putting on the most apologetic face you could make.

It takes a couple of minutes but you manage to get to the last person.

"Thank goodness" You whisper to yourself. "What would you like?" You say louder so the customer could hear.

"Iced Americano with 5 sugars and 3 creams." They say. You look up at the familiar order and fight a smile that's creeping onto your face.

"Look who decided to show. Everything sorted out?" You ask Mike. Your voice is in a playful tone but you mean what you say. Although there wasn't a strong connection between you and Mike, you enjoyed having a friend that you could look forward to seeing in the day.

He starts to say something but stops himself and looks at the markings on the table. "Uh it's been alright I guess. I just stopped coming because I was getting sick of seeing you everyday" he says with a playful smirk.

Your eyes roll but a corner of your mouth lifts. "I'd suggest you leave then. I wouldn't want to have to take you to the ER." You say mentally face palming. What am I saying? You think to yourself. Just get the drink made. Don't forget you're on the job okay.

"Y/N? Did you hear me?" Mike asks and you look up confused

"Sorry?" You ask lost in your thoughts.

"Um I was wondering if I could get one more of those?" Mike asks not looking at you.

"Oh sure. Meeting up with someone?" Your heart pounds waiting for the answer, hoping it isn't what you think.

"I was hoping, you'd have a drink with me?" Mike asks turning a little pink.

Its really late and this is probably a bunch of mumbo jumbo. I'm going to come back tomorrow to edit this for sure! 💀