Shared Airpods

Fluff.

The sun fighting its way through your curtains wakes you up and you start to get ready for school. It's finally Friday and on top of that, your birthday is tomorrow.

When you walk in the school building you meet your friend Mike at your locker.

"Goodmorning" He says with a smile "since today is the eve of your birthday, I made a special playlist for us to listen to." Mike hands you an AirPod while he keeps one in his ear just like every other day.

You gladly take it feeling your heart temporarily pause at your fingers touching. At this point you barely notice the rush that comes with being with him since it happens so often. You both go your separate ways as you go through your classes.

Throughout the day Mike plays upbeat, party songs with his phone. Even though it made the day fun, it was much harder to concentrate

In your last period there was a final review of the test for Monday. You were starting to fall behind in this class so you took out the AirPod paying full attention to the class.

With only 2 minutes left before the ending bell rings you put the headphone back in your ear.

Although the song is almost over, you notice a change in pace. This song was slower and more calming than the other ones.

"Ain't nobody in the world but you and I"

Was that John Legend? Why would he play that song at the end of the day? The bell rings and you're snapped out of your thoughts. When you leave the class, Mike is waiting in the hallway, more nervous than usual.

"So...did you like the playlist?" He asks while resting his hand on his neck.

You nod approvingly "I liked it but I had to take out the headphone during last period. I noticed you changed the pace though. I would think you'd end with a Stevie Wonder Happy Birthday song but it was just a slow song." You say laughing

"Oh, so you didn't get to hear it? Well uh- that sorta spoils my plans." He says biting his lip. You can tell he's nervous about something so you grab his hand.

"Mike are you ok?" You start to get worried since his hands are hot. "What's wrong?"

He sighs and shakes his head "nothing, it's just- here. We can listen to the song together. I think you'll like it." He says. You nod and put the AirPod back in your ear. You guys walk outside to sit on the bench and he plays the song.

As you listen to the song your smile grows wider. The lyrics are so beautiful.

Mike looks at you while the song is playing and relaxes once he sees you enjoying it. You lean back and listen as the song starts to end.

When you look at Mike, he's already looking at you. He takes your hand and takes a deep breath.

"I've been wondering how to tell you this for a while but I thought today would be a good day. I really like you. I always have. I was afraid of telling you because we have such a good friendship but I can't look at you for another day without knowing if you like me back."

You slowly take out the AirPod and look at him. "I'm sorry I couldn't hear you." You say

He sighs "are you kidding me Y/N?" He rolls his eyes and you laugh

"I'm just kidding. I've always liked you" you kiss him softly, feeling a weight lifting off of your shoulders. "I've been waiting to do that for a while."

A/N: I feel like I don't say this enough so thank you thank you thank you guys so so much for the support with this book! It really motivates me to keep going and I really wanted to thank you all. To me, 22k is CRAZY! You guys are amazing 😭