Chuck Grant

TEARS
Chuck Grant x MEDIC! Reader

WARNINGS: SAD!! YOU MIGHT CRY YOU MAY NOT, BUT YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.
➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕➕

When you try your best but you don't succeed

Looking at the dog tags in your hands you played with them. How dearly you wished you could rid yourself of the burden of them. The poor replacement had died. Under your watch. You felt the cold snowflakes settling on your shoulder and watch the vapor of your breath dissipate into the air.

When you get what you want but not what you need

Chuck, walking up to you, also took note of the snow. He wished for your normal form to return, he just wanted you. Your normal furry heart no longer melted the snow settling around you. The spark in your eyes had dulled and it was one of the many signs that let Chuck know that the death of the replacement mentally strained you. Dark bags had formed deeply under your eyes. You had not been sleeping.

When you feel so tired but you can't sleep
Stuck in reverse

His heart shattered as he slid into the foxhole next to you. You didn't even spare him a glance. Chuck pulled you into his side running his gloved hand up and down your arm. He didn't ask you what was wrong he just held you. He felt wetness on his shoulder. You were crying.

And the tears come streaming down your face

He pulled you into his grasp and you let all of your emotions pour. Why had this happened to you? You were such a lovely person and Chuck loved you dearly. Yet here, sadness had a hold on you as you continued to sob. You had been crying so much, hiccups rattled your body. Chuck felt an overwhelming feeling of realization. It finally dawned on him. You had lost the replacement Julian. How could he not remember that. 

When you lose something you can't replace

Of course that's what you were crying about. Chuck wasn't sure if you hurt more losing a replacement, because they were so young, or the veterans, who were all sort of like your brothers. Later in that month, when you would lose Hoobler, you established loosing the Toccoa men that had trained under Sobel with you, was much worse than both of the alternatives. For now though Chuck just held you. 

When you love someone but it goes to waste
Could it be worse?

You felt your heart clenching in immense pain. Despite the feeling of Chuck's arms around you, you still felt so much pain. You felt so broken. How could you let this happen? How would his mother feel when she got the letter? Sure, loosing men had always been a scarring experience, but ever since you guys got to Bastogne, it felt like the men around you were dropping like flies. No sooner when you saved one man would another die in your hands. The worst part was when you failed to save one and the next one died too.

You laid there with Chuck as he held you and whispered softly into your ear. "I will fix you, I promise." 

Lights will guide you home

Chuck noticed your eyes lighting up for the first time in a very long time as you played in the fields of Austria's bright green grass. He felt them pulling him towards you as if he was being called home by his mother. 

And ignite your bones

He felt as if his whole body was on fire the closer he got to you. You held your hand out to him and sparks flew across his skin as soon as the two of you came into contact. He held you close to him, lifting your chin. Your eyes met his and he could see the laughter in them as you grinned and giggled. He spun you in many circles, the poodle skirt sent to you by your mother flowing. He pulled you back in close to him and smashed his lips onto yours.

And I will try to fix you

The memories the two of you shared in Austria were front and center in your mind as you looked on at the love of your life sitting half-dead on the table in front of the kraut surgeon. You clutched his dog tags in your hand and looked at the surgeon. "Please." You pleaded softly with him. The surgeon began giving orders to you and Roe. The two of you began rushing around to get him whatever he needed. You paused momentarily to place your lips on Chuck's forehead, inches from his wound. "We will fix you."

High up above or down below

He proposed to you on the Ferris Wheel overlooking San Francisco after the war. Originally you guys wanted to settle in his small little county in Los Angeles, but after his father died, he decided it was time to pick up and move. So you moved to San Francisco, occasionally driving down to the barbershop to get a trim from Joe. Chuck proposed with an absolutely beautiful ring he knew you would love. He had previously gone with your sister to get it. Of course, you said yes. You were nodding and crying before he was even halfway through his speech.

When you're too in love to let it go

Babe was his Best Man. Shifty, Joe, and Guarnere were his groomsmen. The two of you had wanted a very personal ceremony, so Skinny was the officiator. He had become a priest post-war. His eyes were on you from the moment your father walked you down the aisle to the moment he went to sleep that night. You had stuck beside him. Always. Even when he was having nightmares. Or sometimes when he couldn't speak from his head injury. You still stuck with him. That made you the most beautiful woman in the world. Not that you weren't already.

But if you never try, you'll never know

You had been trying for a baby forever. Finally, you were blessed with a miracle. Two as a matter of fact. Twins! A boy and a girl. You were a champ throughout the entire pregnancy. You had very few mood swings and rarely complained. You never got unreasonably snippy with him or craved anything that was too hard to procure. Your only issue throughout the whole pregnancy was your love to smoke. And then your husband just had to go and own a tobacco shop!

Just what you're worth

Chuck was by your side the entire birth. Even when the doctor suggested he leave, he refused to. When you were in labor and threw him out of the room, he came back. Usually with ice chips to make it a little better. You felt your heart-melting. Were you in pain? Hell yeah. Did him being there make it better? You bet. 

Chuck had never felt such love for one human being before. Even in labor, you were just stunning. He had never felt this much love for one person before. You were worth more than anything or anyone else to him. Well, maybe not anyone anymore. Now that you had blessed him with a family though, he would spend the rest of his life paying you back.

Chuck thought back to the moments of the war. He though back to being with you and now here he was caring for these beautiful babies you had given him. He sat each twin down on the couch and wiped their tears from their face. He could not lie. His heart was breaking. But death or not, you would have wanted him to care for them always. So for now he was strong and pictured the light in your eyes. 

Speaking softly to them, he recited the one thing that sealed your love a thousand times over. "Lights will guide you home. And ignite your bones. And I will try to fix you."