Joe Liebgott

I do not know why but I have been in a sad writing mood lately even though I am personally in a good mood. This is going to be another songfic and once again Angst. 
WARNING: SAD! THERE IS NO HAPPY ENDING HERE
ALONE
======================================

I'm going under and this time I fear there's no one to save me

Why had he pushed you away? Of all people you were the one who made him feel better. When his head was underwater, you were the air he breathed adn seeing you with Talbert tore him apart but he knew that it was better for you. Besides, he would never be able to get you back anyways. There was nothing he could do. Now he was drowning and there was no air. The salty water of his tears mixing with his shattered memories of you were sucking him under.

This all or nothing really got a way of driving me crazy

The two of you were standing in the same room. Twelve feet apart. He wanted to hold you. To love you. But his stomach churned at the thought of hurting you any more than he already had. What kind of asshole could possibly want to be so close to their own girlfriends knowing how much they had hurt them. You were scared of him. It wasn't like he had hit you. He would never. But Joe lost his temper. He punched a hole in the wall inches from your face.  He knew he would never physically hurt you, but did you?

I need somebody to heal, somebody to know

Joe loved you dearly. He could tell when something was bothering you. He knew something was up the moment he found you still in your foxhole in Bastogne even after the company had gotten together to celebrate being alive. He brought you some grade A army grub. It didn't taste very good but in this state, you weren't likely to eat anything. Your father had passed and now you needed someone to heal your broken heart. Someone who knew you like Joe knew you. You needed Joe.

Somebody to have, somebody to hold

When Guarnere, your best friend, was taken off the line, followed by Buck  AND Toye. It was a little too much. Joe seemed to fight off your darkest thoughts and fears as he held you in his arms. You were content just to be held and he was happy to hold you. Joe alwyas liked the look you got when he accidentally tickled your side. Watching Tab hold you right now though, it just made him feel as though he had taken a thousand Air Sickness Pills and jumped into Normandy all over again.

It's easy to say, but it's never the same

What the hell was he gonna do when he got back to the states. his whole plan was you. Take you on a proper date, marry you, buy you a really big, nice house for the two of you to grow old in as you popped out a bunch of little Liebgotts. Now that was ruined. He had promised to always love you and never to hurt you but now nothing was anything like what you talked about.

I guess I kind of liked the way you numbed all the pain

He was stuck. Alone. heartbroken with nobody but himself to blame. Being a war hurt so goddamn much. He would never admit it but sometimes he just missed his ma. He missed his sisters, one of which he would later find out had died. He had mistakeningly pushed you away from him one too many times and as a result, was left to deal with his own pain.

Now the day bleeds, into nightfall

He watched you run around the fields of Austria, hair flowing and Talbert chasing you. You were riddled with giggles and almost tripped. Tab caught you just in time and held you in his embrace. Joe longed to be the one to catch you when you fall like he promised he would be. He felt his chest clenching in pain as he watched the two of you. Winters had suddenly appeared behind him and placed a hand on his shoulder. 

And you're not here to get me through it all

"You love her Joe. Of course, you do. And I really am sorry that this is how it turned out." Joe nodded silently and turned around muttering a small 'Thank you, sir' before exiting the balcony. He just couldnt watch it anymore.

I let my guard down, and then you pulled the rug

As soon as he got back to his room, his walls fell. He had worked so fucking hard to put them up. And as they were bombarded by sadness he had worked harder to keep them up and they were crumbling. He pulled his pack of smokes from his chest pocket and lit one. Deciding to go on a walk, he left his room, feeling lost and hurt.

I was getting kind of used to being someone you loved

"You know those things will kill you." He thought he had been dreaming when he heard your voice behind him. "Joey? are you okay?" The mention of your nickname for him shot an arrow through his heart. Why did it hurt so much just to hear you? He didn't turn around afraid of what would happen if he saw you. "They can't kill me if I die of heartbreak first." Despite having disregarded your warning he threw the cigarette on the floor, stepping on it as he walked away from you.

I let my guard down, and then you pulled the rug

I was getting kind of used to being someone you loved