Dick Winters

Soulmate prompt #6. "You see the world in shades of your soulmate's eye color. When you meet them, their eyes are gray."

y/e/c - your eye color

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

For your entire life you had seen the world in shades of the most beautiful blue. There was nothing quite like it, really. Suddenly everything became beautiful. Sunsets and the stars. Bonfires. All of it was absolutely stunning and there was nothing in the universe that compared. When you told your father, Army General Taylor, you could see his face turn a much paler blue.

He was friends with the leader of 2nd Battalion, Robert Strayer, who was like your uncle, so your father put you with him. After careful thought, Strayer put you with Easy Company. He had visited them many times and was assured they were the best. Your father wanted you to be a field medic, but to you, there was no way in hell you were gonna join the army to be a doctor. You wanted to be in the action.

Reluctantly, your father allowed for you to be placed in Easy company as a private under the command of C.O. Herbert Sobel and his X.O. Dick Winters. But only because he knew Sobel would be tougher on you than he could ever be. It ensure you would be trained well and therefore would have a smaller chance of getting killed.

When you arrived at Toccoa, the men were running Currahee so you made your way to administration. You would have your own bunk and were instructed to shower after the men did to avoid any problems. You had to have your hair up and be measured for a uniform and boots. Other than that, everything was pretty much the same.

By the time you had gotten away from administration, the men had finished running Currahee and were lined up on the CO's order. The entire company was waiting for Sobel to show up as he had been the only person not currently there. The Georgia night time air was damp and cold and you had never thought that you would want to crawl into an army barrack before. Until now,

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Dick Winters, a star-athlete, straight A student, and model son, had never been perturbed before. One could reasonably conclude that he, in essence, just about avoided the women in his small town. All of them were virtually comparable. They all had the same approach when it came to men. Charm a man to the point where you can easily apprehend and then marry him. Like a snare of harrowing maidenly powers. The mere thought of it made him get the worst kind of tingles. Marrying someone just to marry them? Just so your not alone? 

It eventually became a portion of the reason that he was so headstrong about finding his soulmate. The woman that was immaculate for him. He knew, he didn't know how, but he just knew that he would love her in every comprehensible way. The instant you blazed right into Toccoa, putting Sobel back into his place with numerous warnings towards how easily you could have him removed, he knew that you were the one for him. 

His desire was further prompted when he detected how motherly you were towards the men. They were warriors, destined for great conquests comparable to that of the ancient greek titans, passed down through story generation after generation. Nonetheless, you rebuked them like a mother would her son who got his church clothes dirty romping around in the mud. You were in fact a woman but no man second guessed your place in the service. You had earned it just like every other paratrooper there. You were, as well, Easy Company.  

Presently, Dick worked tenaciously to keep his mind from wandering to you. Where his mind went, his eyes followed. Previously, he had decided he did not need you to catch him staring at you again. However, he straightened up immediately as he caught the sound of Sobel's boots crunching on the gravel, stomping his way over to make Company Inspection. Dick had not been paying attention and was startled when Sobel spoke directly to him. 

"Lieutenant Winters I want canteens out, caps unscrewed."

"Canteens out and open."

"On my word they will pour the contents onto the ground."

"On the CO's order you will upend your canteen,"

"Now Lieutenant."

"Pour 'em!"

Sobel began making his way around the company eyeing every trooper. Dick felt his eyes land onto the men as well and began watching very warily. At long last, his eyes locked with yours. He resisted the urge to release a sigh. He had been with the company through the entire march but still he felt relieved that though you had very clearly reached a point of exertion, you were otherwise okay. Yet, for the very first time, he looked at your eyes. Like really looked at your eyes. When he had noticed them in a passing glance, he had assumed they were just a pale color as they had never really been a dark shade of the only color he could see in, y/e/c. 

Looking into your eyes currently, he could see that they were, in fact, gray. His suspicions had been confirmed and you were his soulmate. The feeling he experienced next could only be described as immeasurable bliss. He had been so wrapped up in his musings, he was a tad spooked when Sobel's voice broke him from his thoughts. 

"Lieutenant Winters?"

"Yes, sir."

"Was this man ordered to not drink from his canteen?"

Dick paused, taking a fleeting glance at the soldier being yelled at. Christenson. "He was, sir."

"Private Christenson you have disobeyed a direct order, you will refill your canteen and repeat all twelve miles of the march immediately!"

Christenson, closing his eyes, took a deep breath. "Yes sir!"

"Fall out!!"

After being chewed out by Sobel for his quote unquote foolishness, Dick carefully scanned the area where the men had been, noting how Sobel had already instructed them to fall out as well. Huffing out a sigh, he turned and began to make his way back to his bunks, praying that Lew was there so that he could vent and rave about finally finding you like some smitten schoolgirl. 

He found himself to be pleasantly surprised however, when he turned and was met with your perplexed appearance. "Lieutenant, uhm... could we perhaps have a discussion of sorts?" Your speech was very feeble. Mumbling was different for you. Usually you weren't as timid, however the setting of your current situation was something that was also new to both of you. "Of course," He very politely offered you his arm, which you took, shyly wrapping your hand around the crook of his elbow. 

Suddenly, you stopped. Dick felt the pull on his elbow of you faltering in your tracks. "What's wrong, dear?" Pet names were foreign to him. However with you, it just felt right. "Just close your eyes, Lieutenant. There's something I want to try," Trusting you completely, Dick closed his eyes. He breathed deeply and serenely. Without warning he felt the slightest brush against his lips. Then the same brush applied with slightly more force. A kiss. Your mouths met in a soft, meaningful kiss.

When he pulled away he could see the world in all it's beautiful colors. Judging from the slight gasp that left your mouth, so could you. You in particular were drop dead gorgeous, most especially your eyes. And though he had spent his entire life seeing this one color, he decided there was nothing he would rather see.