Dick Winters

SONG IMAGINE CAUSE THIS SONG IS BEAUTIFUL AND every time I HEAR IT I THINK OF HIM THIS PRECIOUS HUMAN. STARTS OFF A LITTLE SAD BUT THE MEMORIES ARE HAPPY ALSO FOR THE SAKE OF THE IMAGINE IM PLACING THIS SONG TO BE MADE MUCH EARLIER

HEARTBEAT

(A/N - MOST OF THIS IS MEMORIES SO IF IT'S IN ITALICS IT'S MEMORIES, BOLD-ITALICS ARE SONG LYRICS, AND NORMAL TEXT IS WELL NORMAL TEXT.)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dick watched as they lowered your oak coffin into the ground. Despite his old age, he had crafted it himself. He quickly wiped the escaped tears from his face as he remembered his promise to you. No crying. Dick smiled softly to himself as the song he had come to know as your song, came on the radio. It was the first song played at your wedding and the song playing when you fell in love, somewhere out on his parents' farm, that summer night...

I love it when we're at a party, in a downtown crowd,
but I can hear you call me baby, with the music up loud

Dick sighed taking another gulp of his water. Why had he let Lew draw him into this? Bars were never really his thing but here he was, Nixon, New Jersey, seated at one of the uncomfortable stools. He gazed around the room looking for the familiar dark hair of his best friend. A blind date. Did Lewis really think he was that lonely? Sure he got a little caught up with work sometimes and work a few hours later than he was supposed to but that didn't negate the fact that the last woman Lew had tried to set him up with, was only after him because she had assumed he had money, being a friend of Lewis'.

He let out a grunt as he was slammed into. When Dick turned around to see who had knocked into him, he was met with an empty space. Scanning the room once more, he laid eyes upon a man "leading" a very beautiful woman from the bar as she tried to escape his tight hold. She was crying and looking frantically around. Clearly, she did not want him to be touching her. Everyone else around was too drunk to notice but there was no way in hell Dick was about to leave this alone. He swiftly followed them out the door and into the cold New Jersey air.

"Let her go." Subsequent to hearing Dick's command, the man whipped around. "It's none of your business, corporal." The man mocked Dick's uniform in a very poor salute followed. Rolling his eyes, Dick stepped closer and sought to free this unfortunate woman of this man's bruising grasp. The man's grip loosened momentarily before he wound his fist back, allowing it to come in contact with Dick's face. Dick was not one for violence but nor was he one to just sit and take a beating. Ending the fight hastily, Dick knocked the man unconscious with one swing.

Red wine, good times, no I don't mind being with everyone else,
And then there's nights like tonight that I, I want you to myself

"I'm a major," Dick turned to the woman who was hunched over and spewing her guts out. Tears were still running down her cheeks. Dick allowed her to throw up before gently taking her hand in his and lifting her chin with a single finger and wiping her tears softly. Luckily, she didn't flinch away from his touch, like he suspected she might after such an attack. Just as Dick turned to flag down a cab the door to the bar behind them slammed open.

Dick swiveled around to come face to face with his best friend who stood next to a blond whose legs looked a little long for her body. She was pretty but Dick still felt the woman next to him was not only much more beautiful but also needed him much more. "Lewissss," The woman next to him had a very high pitched voice and was whining endlessly. "you told me he was single!" Dick rolled his eyes. She threw an impressive tantrum for a grown woman. Lewis dismissed her, looking confusedly at Dick who gave him a look that in essence, said 'I'll explain later'.

That night Dick helped that woman home. He stayed with her, sleeping on her couch that night with a glass of water and breakfast ready for her when she got up. They ended up on man, many dates.

And tonight I wanna drive so far we'll only find static on the radio

Dick's hand was held in yours as he drove his father's car throughout the fields of rural Pennsylvania, watching Philadelphia disappear from view. He had convinced you to take a trip with him to visit his parents. It was one of the many aspects he loved about courting you. Surprises that took your breath away. He momentarily let go of your hand to turn down the radio that now only released a constant static sound from a lack of radio towers.

Upon arriving at a picnic looking area where he turned the car off and rushed over to open your door. When you stepped out, you were absolutely breathless.

And we can't see those city lights and I love the way you look in a firefly glow

He studied your reaction carefully as you took in the area around you. A picnic basket sat in the center of the clearing on top of a checkered blanket. Shifting your eyes to your surroundings you noticed numerous fireflies buzzing around as if they knew this was a truly special moment for the both of you. You sucked in a breath, blinking back gathering tears. The bright lighting of the city was lost in the rolling hills. Dick placed his index finger under your chin, his baby blue eyes meeting yours. "You look beautiful."

Saying everything without making a sound, a cricket choir in the background, underneath a harvest moon

You slipped your heels off as they were sinking in the mud and held them in your free hand. The one that wasn't grasped in his own. He guided you to the picnic blanket where you dropped your shoes and purse. He turned you swiftly around, hands clasped onto your waist. You placed one hand on his should and the other looped around the back of his neck. He pulled you in for a soul searching kiss. Your first one. Eyes closed, you deepened the kiss, listening to cricket chirpings and feeling the moonlight on your face.

Standing on your shoes in my bare feet, dancing to the rhythm of your heartbeat

You pulled away, resting your hands on his broad shoulders. He subconsciously pulled you closer and lifted you to stand on his boots. Taking one of your hands in his and resting his other on your back, he positioned the two of you into a waltzing stance. You rested your head on his heartbeat, cherishing the smell of his natural scent. His labored breathing soon calmed you, and you placed your sole focus to this amazing man in front of you.

Oh, and we're dancing to the rhythm of your heartbeat

His heartbeat began to softly lull you, becoming more and more like a nursery rhyme each second. He placed a gentle kiss to your forehead. His baby blue eyes were shining a gray like color in the moonlight. If he kept staring at you the way he was, this night was going to end much differently than originally planned. Dick felt his heartbeat speed up as your lips grazed his again. You were smiling into the kiss.

I wanna feel it like a kick drum, beating faster in your chest

When you pulled away, Dick smiled down softly at you. You ran your hands over his chest, and Dick could feel his body begin to vibrate at your touch. The feeling of your skin against his, lit every fiber of his being on fire. Everything that you hated about yourself, made Dick love you even more.

I wanna feel you holding onto me and make me hold my breath