Part 4

Isabelle's POV

One week went by since I started working at Delta Enterprises and I quite liked it there. It was the perfect job, with a very professional and passionate atmosphere surrounding me everyday. The working hours went by pretty fast and I felt super relieved I didn't meet Damian Romano since that painfully awkward interview. 

"Good morning Isabelle" 

"Good morning, Mike" Mike was the first colleague that showed me around and helped me start up. Normally you'd assume people like him didn't exist at workplaces like these. Because people can act quite bitchy to one another just to grow their own position. Some would literally trample each other to death to climb a little higher.

"I have some news concerning the documents we received. Rumor says the person responsible for them is fired and they're searching for a replacement, asap." he said sorting through some papers. 

"Oh, okay, that explains why it has been laying there unnoticed for a while. Isn't corporate concerned about that? I mean, I quickly browsed through them and it looks like it could be a pretty big deal for the company."

"That's the point, he seems to be too relaxed about this matter. Maybe he has a back up plan? I don't know, never expected him to be this careless." Mike shrugged.

"Yeah, he probably does have a back up plan." I sighed. "It's his responsibility at the end of the day, I'm sure he'll find someone eventually."

Suddenly we were interrupted by the  ringing of the phone. Mike answered and looked at me straightaway. 

"Isabelle, they're asking for you at the main department. Apparently, Mr Romano wants to see you." He said with eyes like saucers.

"What? Seriously, it's only been 1 week, don't tell me he's firing me already." Mike looked at me with a concerned face.

And there it was again, the anxiety of meeting him. I was nervous as hell and I always hoped I'd never have to have a one on one with him ever again. 

"You'll be okay Isabelle" Mike said as he tried to reassure me.

"Just wish me good luck." I laughed nervously. 

It was the first time I was at the CEO's floor. I continued hoping he wouldn't fire me, I've only worked here for a week, God please give me a break. I nervously stroke the palms of my hands against my pants and hesitantly knocked on the door. 

"Come in" his stern voice answered.  

"Miss Alverez, please sit down." how suspicious... he looked really calm. If he fired me in this unbothered manner, he'd officially reach the optimal asshole status in my eyes.

"How can I be of any help to you, Mr Romano?" I cleared my throat and asked him very politely. 

"Glad you asked; I have a proposal Miss Alverez. I can see your work ethic will be quite beneficial to the company." oh really, he concluded that after only one week? That's great, I guess, but what does he want? 

"Thank you." I almost made it sound like a question. 

"As you may have heard already, I fired the person responsible for this contract." he said and lightly threw the contract on the table. The front page was the same as the one Mike and I had discussed earlier.

"Indeed, I have heard of that and I may have seen some documents concerning it as well." I squinted my eyes, wondering if he wanted to hear something specific from me.

"Then you most probably can imagine how urgent it must be to solve this matter. If the details concerning this contract aren't resolved in 2 weeks, my partners oversees will assume I'm scamming them." he said leaning against the table with his arms crossed.