Part 5

"Alverez come to my office now." he said. He didn't sound positive at all, maybe it's nothing. It's not like he ever sounds positive. I let out a tired sigh, if he keeps interrupting me every other hour, I will never be able to finish my work on time.

I imagined him firing me everytime he summoned me to his office. It wouldn't be surprising considering my luck.

As always, I politely knocked on his door, and silently walked in. 

"Mr Romano, you called for me?" he kept his gaze on his papers as he intensely studied its contents. "Serpano's men will be here this evening, I want you to assemble these documents, check them and deliver them to Helen. She will make the copies. Also cancel all your plans for tomorrow and this weekend. We're flying to Paris. We'll be staying there for 3 days and 2 nights."

"What?" I was completely taken aback and tried my best to keep a composed look on my face, although on the inside I was absolutely squealing with happiness. Flying to Paris had always been a dream of mine, which I never managed to accomplish, sometimes because of time deficiency and other times because of my poor finances.

"You heard me right, now don't start asking unnecessary questions. We need to finish on time today." What can I say, he's rude. 

"But can I have more information on why exactly we're flying to Paris? I think that's a reasonable question to ask." he sighed, finally looking up from his papers. 

"We're visiting my uncle. He is the last person we need for this agreement to settle. If we can't convince him to invest a proper amount, chances are all of this gets cancelled."
Which practically meant this trip could be the end of me?

"I understand, I'll start preparing the documents for this evening."

"Good, oh and miss Alverez, try to focus today. We don't want a repeat of yesterday's circus."

As much as I hated his condescending tone, all I could do was nod and agree. I seriously need to focus more on my work and less on my personal life.

Back at my desk though, I gave myself the opportunity to curse at Damian Romano, I liked doing it routinely every now and then to get rid of the frustrations that were piling up inside of me.

This day went by pretty fast and as I finished the documents and send them to Helen, the secretary, I got the message that our guests had finally arrived. I quickly fixed my make up and hair. Basically to not look like an underground troll leaving its cave after a long winter sleep, because that's what I tend to look like toward the end of my workday. My phone  rang just when I was about to leave. 

"Hello, Isabelle Alverez speaking." I automatically answered.

"Miss Alverez, I hope it won't be necessary to call you up everytime you're late. You should have been here 10 minutes ago." he sounded very annoyed, per usual. But I was baffled, I wasn't supposed to be there 10 minutes ago? He didn't tell me, nor did anyone else. The meeting would only be starting in 20 minutes, so I was very much ON time. What was this guy's problem? 

"I-I was just about to leave." he suddenly hung up on me. Seriously? What's wrong with him, do I have to magically smell his commands from my office. What a jerk.

"Here" I opened the door when suddenly Helen stood in front of me, shoving the printed documents into my arms and quickly running toward the elevator. Rude. Why does everyone have to be so condescending, do I have "shit on me" written on my forehead or something? 

"Calm down Isabelle, it's just another day at work. It'll go by fast." I reassured myself to stay calm and collected. Now is not the time to retaliate.