Part 12

Grey smoke was still surrounding me, obliging me to use my hands as eyes. My mind couldn't comprehend what was happening.  

"Damian" my shaky voice came out louder than I thought. 

"Damian pleeaase, please say something. I can't see you." 

"Isabelle, I'm here. Careful." 

"You're alive, thank goodness." I still was shaking with distress. 

"The firemen should be here in a short while. Get back where ever you are." I nodded frantically as if he could see me. I 'followed the light' you could say and got safely to where the pilot and stewardess were standing, who were all of a sudden nowhere to be seen as well. Apparently they fled the place already. 

As his form started to vaguely reappear out of the smoke I heard sirens getting nearer. "Omg" I gasped in shock, he was covered in blood, from his head to his arms, the dripping blood looked like a horror scene in a movie, impossible to feel real to me at that exact moment. 

He was carrying the unconscious body on his back, visibly struggling to keep him there. After he laid him on the ground he started performing CPR. It wasn't giving me the impression that this was his first time performing it either. 

The medics arrived quickly and took Damian over, who was now running his rough hand through his disheveled hair. The protruding veins on his arms and visibly distressed look on his face showed me another side of him. Him losing control over his plans really does mess him up. 

"Damian, what-what now?" I whispered with my tired raspy voice. He looked at me, making direct eye contact. I didn't expect it to reassure me one bit, but it did. 

"Now? ..." He paused and looked around. "Now we go home." 

"How?"

"Come on, there's a plane we need to catch." he stood up tall and raised me by the elbow. "Why does this continue happening?" I leaned into his hold and let him carry me to wherever. 

"Let's just go." he simply said. The paramedics were preoccupied with the unconscious pilot, who to my big relief was alive and well, while the firefighters were extinguishing the ongoing fire.  

"I'm sorry, but you'll need to stay here to report this case." a police officer approached us with a wide blanket. 

"No problem, officer. Can we just sit down and come back to our senses; it's been a hectic day." 

"That I understand, of course." he offered us a genuine smile with compassion and gave us way to exit the field. As we kept getting closer to the actual exit I curiously looked at Damian. "Are we allowed out?" 

"I'll let my local acquaintances know how to resolve the situation, silently." 

"Do you really trust them to fix this without you?" I questioned him further on. 

"No, but I do trust my money more." he spoke. "Oh." was all I could utter. 

"We gotta mix ourselves with the  people. I'm booking the first flight home." I sighed with relief when his men in uniform came to us and guided us to his car again. "Get in." His hand pushed me inside lightly, we took off the second he closed the door behind him. 

"We won't be going back to the hotel, there's a shop we'll stop by to fix our clothes. At 10 we have a plane to catch, let's hope that one won't explode." 

"I hope you're joking, and if you are, it's a stupid joke." 

"I'm not. I won't let it happen though, not when 200 innocent people are involved." I gasped. "Fuck." he cursed outta nowhere. I nervously shuffled in my seat.