part 9

I was on the very verge of jumping, when I suddenly heard two shots being fired, but not at me. It couldn't be at me, I still felt very much alive.

I was shocked, to say the least, shocked when I turned around and saw a panting Damian standing on the other side of the bridge with his gun pointed at the two, now dead men laying on the ground.

"Damian?" I breathed out in a whisper. "Why are you here?" I started staggering on my feet.

"Stand still." he sounded angry, someone tell me what's new. He approached me as I watched him curiously, waiting for him to say something again. I didn't understand him, I never thought a man could confuse me even more than Nate did in the past.

I was looking down at him, with a quizzical expression, everything till now was surreal. For a split second I even thought he wasn't real and I had already died.
He stretched out his arms and reached toward me. "Come here." I felt like a small child being picked up by their parent. I was still looking at his face, as he swiftly picked me off the wide rails and set me on the ground.

He was staring at me with an unreadable expression. I frowned at him, questioning what he was doing here, after all it was him who threw me out of the car. My eyes softened as I began giving up on trying to understand him and his motives. This was tiring, he was tiring. I let go of his shoulders and let my arms hang loosely at my sides. Slowly my eyes met the two corpses laying on the ground again.

"You killed them." I said. Judging by my drained voice an outsider would think I completely lost it.

"You'd rather they kill you?" he asked me as his hands furiously turned my head facing him again. He didn't get any reaction from me though. There was no need in telling him what I'd rather have. He never cared for what I wanted, not once since we've met. I wished he'd stop asking me such useless questions.

"Just. Don't look." he sighed as his eyes softened all of a sudden. "Don't look there Isabelle. Come, I'm taking you back." he continued as he guided me away from the crime scene.
On our way to the car we were met by four of his men, who were obviously heading toward the dead corpses. They had a big clean up to do after us.

The thought of people dying never ever entered my mind before. Yes my father's death did something to me, it hurt badly, even though I couldn't call him a great father either. But this was different. Four men already died, because of me. Their souls were indirectly connected to mine now, I was the reason for their death after all. I clenched my jaw as I was trying not to sob or cry, but silent tears began falling as my knees were on the verge of giving up on me.

I was hoping to reach the car before Damian noticed my weakened state. His arm was still fully supporting me. I didn't know whether it was helping, but maybe if he'd let go, I would actually fall.

"We're almost there."
He opened the door and guided me to sit down. After closing the door, I saw him talking to one of his men, with dramatic hand gestures. They were most probably discussing how to get rid of the bodies.

Another car approached us and parked behind the car I was sitting in. They began carrying the bodies there, I heard them slamming the doors shut, after cramming the bodies into the trunk.

After what happened the previous night, I wasn't surprised with what Damian did. It was painfully obvious that it wasn't the first time he killed somebody or got rid of dead bodies.

Seems like Damian Romano does this on the regular.

He got into the car and sat next to me, not holding any distance between us.

"Get us out of here." he instructed the driver who immediately obeyed. My fingers gripped the fabric of my dress and unconsciously pressed into my skin, inevitably leaving red marks behind. My nervous tic was abruptly ceased when Damian grabbed my hands with his. I turned toward him, thinking he'd let go, but he didn't.