01 - dwarves

An Unexpected Journey

Dark came by quickly when dinner was being prepped by my dearest cousin Bilbo Baggins. Salt and lemon grilled fish with homemade cheddar biscuits. A scrumptious meal that we eat every Friday.

"It's almost done, Keena," I heard Bilbo call from the kitchen. Hearing his announcement, i scooted off from my seat from sharpening my arrow tips and skipped off to the kitchen where Bilbo awaited me with a plate.

"I hope you weren't sharpening your weapons on my great grandmas rug, Bilbo complained when I entered and plopped myself down next to him on the wooden table.

Laughing I shrugged and gave a short silent prayer, and dug in. "Maybe. Maybe not. I think it's wasn't your great grand mother's, but your great aunts," I replied holding back a smile.

"Keena Gredan," Bilbo gasped my name and I laughed obnoxiously, then took another bite of my food. "Well you're cleaning it up later," he grumbled in between bites.

While eating, a thought entered my mind. I remember firing some arrows in a few meadows away from the humble abode of Bilbo Baggins hobbit hole, when I saw a taller old man enter the village, dressed in grey, a pointed hat, and a wooden staff in hand. Visitors are a rare sight to see for my old eyes. I ran to a path some distance away from the man, my  weapons at my back in case if this man was of any danger. He stopped. I stopped too.

"Keena Gredan." He vouched my name, he turned his head and I saw the face of a old man with a long grey beard.

"Yes? That's me," I speak shyly and hold the handle of my elven dagger tightly.

"Might you know where I can find Bilbo Baggins?" He asked politely.

I frowned and sighed softly. "Whose asking?" I countered and crossed my arms over my chest.

The man then frowned too. As if I should know whom he was. I may have lived a long life but I have never seen this old man before.

"For I am Gandalf. Gandalf the Grey."

My mouth fell open. It couldn't be. He's a wizard.

"Now where is the hobbit," he added quickly and leaned against his staff awaiting an answer.

"My cousin would normally be found smoking a pipe weed at this time of day," I say looking up at the sky. "Our home is the one with the green door and the largest tree atop our hill." I told him. I knew he could be trusted. He's a strong and powerful wizard. I certainly shouldn't mess with him, even with all my years of training with blades.

"Cousin you say. I wasn't aware Bilbo was living with his cousin," he mumbled and felt out his beard. "Thank you for your time young hobbit, Keena."

Before I knew it, he was gone. I blinked and stood silently. But a question came to my mind quickly. How does he know my name?

"Bilbo, did Gandalf ever find you today?" I asked Bilbo who was silently still eating his food.

Bilbo turned to my shocked. "How did you know?"

"He had come to me and asked your whereabouts," I replied and picked at my fish. "What did he want and not want with me, your cousin."

Bilbo coughed and was about to answer when a loud knock was at the green door down the hall.

"I'll get it," Bilbo got up from his sweet and rushed to the door. I have a puzzled look on my face as I watched the hobbit walk away. Who would be here at this hour? At the Baggins home?

Seconds later, an unfamiliar face, a man with a bald head and a long brown beard, walked into the kitchen, with a scrambling Bilbo walking at his heels. I stood up shocked. There was a dwarf in our house.