20 - survivors

The next couple of days have been spent searching for the arkenstone. Every dwarf was sent to the gold to search for the jewel that Thorin seeked so dearly. I tried to remain out of sight out of mind. Remembering the words the Snow Elf Queen had spoken to me before, to remain as far away from Thorin. It would keep us both safer? I don't believe it for Thorin, as more days pass he has become more violent towards the dwarves and lashing out with harsh words at them. Me though, it has defiently kept my mind stable. But the thought that Thorin hasn't bother even seeking me out has greatly troubled me.

The thought of the gold and the arkenstone plagued his mind more than his lover. SIghing, I had began walking through the halls, to where I find Bilbo.

"Bilbo," I call out to him. He stops walking and turns towards me.

"Hey, are you okay?" Bilbo questions me as he reaches out a hand to my arm.

"Yea, I'm fine," I say not making eye contact with him. "I saw you were speaking with Thorin. What did he say to you," I asked Bilbo and the hobbits ears perked up.

"Well, he had questioned what was in my hand," Bilbo began explaining before pulling a small acorn out from his pocket. He showed it to me and I couldn't help but smile.

"You were planning to plant it back in Hobbiton weren't you," I ask him and he nods with a small smile on his chapped lips. 

"He thought I was hiding something from him," Bilbpo spoke lowly after tucking the acorn back into his pocket, his hand lingering there for a moment before his hand fell to his side.

"Well of course. With the arkenstone not found yet, anything you might be doing will be found suspisious in Thorins eyes," I say with a frown, and gently cross my arms over my chest, my arms almost resting on my stomach.

"He's not getting any better, I fear for him," Bilbo says and I nod my head in agreement. "We should find Balin, see if there is anything we can do," Bilbo suggests and I obliage and follow my cousin to Balins whereabouts.

"Ah, Keena, haven't seen you lately, you hiding away from Thorin?" Balin questions me with a playful smirk. 

"Just resting a lot," I mused and smiled weakly at the old dwarf.

"I had wanted to ask you a question," Bilbo speaks up gaining Balins attention. "Balin, if-if Thorin had the Arkenstone. Well, if-if it was found, would it help?" Bilbo asks and my eyes widen and turn towards him. Is he implying he has found it?

A heavy sigh escapes Balins mouth, and he shrugs, "That stone crowns all. It's the summit of this great wealth, bestowing power upon he who bears it. But stay his madness? No, lad. I fear it would make him worse. Perhaps it is best it remains lost."

Taking in a shaky breath, I clutch my stomach out of fear. 

But as Bilbo was about to speak again, the voice of Dwalin could be heard from a ways away, his voice echoing through the halls.

"Thorin, survivors of laketown, they're streaming into Dale. There's hundreds of them," Dwalin speaks and my attention is turned to his voice. I look at Balin whose face fell. 

"To the gate. Now!" I heard Thorins booming voice echoing through the halls. With Bilbo and Balin at my side, we slowly but surely make it to the front gate where Thorin and the others were gathered. Bilbo remained by my side as I walked to Bofur, while Balin left to stand beside his brother. 

"I want this Fortress made safe by sun-up. This Mountain was hard-won, I will not see it taken again," Thorin orders nodding his head at Dwalin before turning to leave.