14 - bard

Everyone is standing in a defensive position now that I singled out the man about to aim at Dori.

"It is odd seeing dwarves, hobbits, and elves all in company of each other," the man calls out and lowers his bow after realizing I wasn't backing away from attack him if need be.

"Excuse me, but um...you're from Lake-town, if I'm not mistaken? That barge over there, it wouldn't be available for hire by any chance?" Balin reaches out and steps forward towards the man. I still haven't lowered my bow and Thorin gave me a look that made me lower it finally.

I looked over to see the barge Balin referred to that was owned by this man. It surely was a boat. As if ignoring us, the man walks off to his boat, only to be followed by all of us, including Arlayna and Thasinia.

"What makes you think I would help you?" The man finally asks and turns towards us, as he places his bow into his boat along with his pack.

"Those boots have seen better days, as has that coat," Balin points out as he is gesturing to the mans attire. As Balin speaks, the man is beginning to roll the barrels we came down river in onto his boat. "No doubt you have some hungry mouths to feed? How many bairns?"

"A boy and two girls," the man replied surely and a smile came across my face. Surely this man was very handsome. His children must be beautiful.

"And your wife, I imagine, she's a beauty?" Balin asked only to receive a drowned expression from the man.

"Aye, she was," the man replied and didn't take another look at Balin.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..." Balin mumbled and I patted his back nonchalantly and stepped closer to the man.

"Oh, come on, come on. Enough with the niceties," Dwalin spoke up, his always aggravating voice piercing the air.

"What's your hurry?" The man asks Dwalin. He tenses up.

"What's it to you?" Dwalin shot back.

"I would like to know who you are, and what you were doing in these lands," the man asks of us and I was about to speak but Balin beat me to it.

"We are simple merchants from the Blue Mountains, journeying to see our kin in the Iron Hills," Balin says and the man doesn't seem to believe his words. He eyes me and my cousin Bilbo before landing his gaze on Arlayna and Thasinia.

"If I'm not mistaken, those from the Blue Mountajns are dwarves. Why are elves and hobbits amongst you," the man asks and points at me before crossing his arms over his chest. Thorin steps forwards, pushing me slightly behind me as a way to put space between the man and I.

"There's no need to worry of our intentions," I squeak out behind Thorin and peek over his shoulder at the man. The man still doesn't look convinced.

"We need food, supplies, weapons. Can you help us?" Thorin speaks up finally and steps forwards.

"I know where these barrels came from," the man says aloud and begins rubbing hand over the beaten up barrels.

"What of it?" Spits Thorin who tenses up from he mans words.

"I don't know what business you had with the elves," he paused and takes a look at the elves among the group. "but I don't think it ended well. No one enters Lake-town but by lead of the master. All his wealth comes from trade with the Woodland realm. He would see you in irons before risking the wrath of king Thranduil," the man finishes as he rolls a last barrel into his boat.

"Whatever you may need of your services, well pay double," Arlayna speaks up and tosses a pouch of coins at the man. He catches it gracefully and tosses it into the air a few times.