track 02. you're my best friend - queen

I've been with you such a long time, you're my sunshine.

***

I woke to the sound of the blaring alarm, my eyes flicking open only to register that I was mere inches away from the puddle of drool forming on Rye's pillow just above me. I scrunched my nose up, trying to wiggle myself free, but found myself locked rather tightly in his embrace.

"Let me go, Rye, you're about to drool on me," I complained, pushing at his chest. He didn't do as I asked, instead wrapping his legs around me as well so I was extra trapped. "Let me go you stupid giant!" I demanded again.

"I'm not a giant, you're just a midget," Rye corrected me, giving me one final constricting squeeze before releasing me. I rolled off his bed with a humph.

"What are you wearing tonight?" I asked him, heading over to sieve through his wardrobe where I'd already hung up his clothes.

"Clothes."

I rolled my eyes. "Okay, well I'm borrowing your Diesel jumper."

"No, I'm wearing that," he protested.

"So you do know what you're wearing then," I huffed, heading into my own room to find something else. I knew probably no one would give a shit what I was wearing, but I felt pressure to look good anyway as I was essentially debuting myself to an entirely new group of people. And it wouldn't hurt if a certain someone was impressed.

"Fuck," I said out loud, remembering I might actually get some tonight. I had more preparation to do than I realised.

"I'm gonna hop in the shower," I called to Rye, grabbing my toiletries from my room, making sure I had my razor with me. I ran the warm water and jumped in, shampooing my hair before rubbing shower gel generously over my entire body, paying extra attention to my 'special areas'. Rye wandered in the at the worst moment, of course, while I was doing some light topiary work with the razor. I'd let things get a little wild 'down there' in the three months I'd been single.

"Manscaping are we?" Rye smirked, glancing at me through the shower glass while he got his own shaving kit out.

"Just a touch," I mumbled, turning my body away in embarrassment. I finished up quickly, wrapping a towel around my waist and nudging Rye to the side so I could blow dry my hair in the mirror while he shaved. 

Rye was ready long before I was, and decided to make himself useful by going out to buy our drinks for us. He seemed to take a suspiciously long time to return considering the shop was just down the road. I discovered the reason for this when I poked my head out into the hallway, rolling my eyes as I saw him leaned against the wall with a brown paper bag in hand, chatting to a girl standing in the doorframe of the opposite apartment. We'd been moved in for what? Five minutes? I looked at him expectantly, ready to go.

"Excuse us?" the girl said, eyeing me like she wasn't sure why I was looking at them.

"Oh, Andy, this is our neighbour, Liza," Rye introduced, noticing me standing there. "Liza, this is Andy, my best mate."

"You two are best friends?" Liza asked skeptically. I could see her take me in, my nail polish and bleached blond hair and all five-foot-six pale inches of me. She looked back at Rye- who with his summer tan was looking even more like a Greek god than usual- and the comparison she was making was painfully obvious in her eyes.

"Yup, and we're heading out now," I said a bit curtly, pulling Rye away with me. Maybe I was cock-blocking him, but I justified it to myself because Liza didn't seem like a nice person anyway. That assumption was probably unfair because I'd barely met her, but a vibe was a vibe. I didn't enjoy how with one haughty look she'd managed to remind me all over again that Rye and I made an odd picture.