track 19. comfortably numb - pink floyd

Can you show me where it hurts?

***

"What are you doing?" I gasped as Jack collapsed into another fit of giggles. He put a finger to his lips making a shush motion at me.

"Just a bit of fun," he whispered. "Don't tell anyone, yeah?"

"Brook said you were clean."

"Brook's not here anymore, man," he smirked. "No more fun police for me."

"Jesus," I groaned. "This is one way to get his attention I suppose."

"Not if you don't tell him."

"I'm gonna tell him, Jack."

I turned to leave but he was in front of me before I could get back through the door. "Andy Andy Andy Andy Andy," he blurted in a rush, "you and me are good right?"

"Not really?"

He let out a short, crazed laugh. "Yeah but seriously? Just trust me on this yeah? Brook's gonna get like really angry about this and he doesn't need to be you know? So I just think it's better if we don't tell him now. But it's all good 'cause I'm fine. Like I'm so fine. But don't tell him."

I tried to sidestep him but he blocked me again, this time grabbing me by the forearms. "Andy, please don't. He'll never talk to me again."

"Calm down okay, you're being paranoid."

"Just don't say anything, I couldn't help it." He burst into tears, falling to his knees in front of me.

"Shit," I murmured, kneeling down in front of him. "How much did you take?" I asked gently.

"All of it." I didn't know how much that was exactly, but I suspected from the way he was acting that it was too much. Especially if his tolerance had declined in the months he'd been sober.

"You need to let me help you," I said and he fell against me, my arms tentatively wrapping around him.

"No," he said, wrenching himself from my grasp, suddenly snapping out of his hysteria. Before I could react he had gotten to his feet again and was running out of the bathroom.

"Goddamnit," I cursed before getting up and giving chase. A Jack breakdown was the last thing I wanted to be dealing with on top of everything else at the moment, but my good conscience couldn't just let him go, knowing that Brook still cared about him even if he was mad at the moment. On top of that the show we had been working on for months opened tomorrow, and we'd all be screwed if one of our lead actors disappeared into a relapse. I had to get him sober again and fast.

"Jack!" I called after him, just seeing his figure disappear out of the auditorium. I ran after him, seeing him dart across the car park as I burst through the doors. "Jack!" I tried again. He turned around but didn't stop. "I'll call Brook if you don't stop now!" I yelled, finally seeing him freeze.

I doubled over as I caught up to him, my lungs burning from the run. "You need to come home with me," I panted. "I'll help you wait it out until you're sober. But one wrong move and I'm calling him, alright?"

Jack was looking at me as I spoke but it didn't feel like he was really seeing me, a vacancy in his almost pure black eyes. "You understand?" I pressed. Jack stared into space for a few more moments before he crumpled to the ground again, heavy sobs beginning to wrack his body. "Fuck," I panicked, kneeling beside him, "Jack, please just get up and come with me."

"Is everything alright?" I heard a voice call. I turned around to see Olivia a few metres away getting out of her car. I shook my head at her and she jogged over, her eyes widening as she saw Jack. "What the hell happened to him?"