track 36. september - earth, wind & fire

Remember how we knew love was here to stay.

***

"Hola señor, dos boletos por favor."

Rye reached behind him to grab my hand, presenting my wrist to someone who pressed a stamp onto it. I let him do it, still distracted by the conversation I was having on my phone.

"No, Mike, I haven't slept with anyone... look why do you care? You broke up with me." Rye tugged on my wrist to pull me inside, and I put the phone away from my ear to look at him. "Just a sec."

Rye rolled his eyes as I put the phone back up, Mikey's drunk whining still droning down the line. "I miss you too but you gotta stop doing this," I begged him. At that, Rye snatched the phone out of my hand, hanging up the call for me. "Oi."

"Thank me later," he said, unapologetic as he dragged me inside the club. "We're here to have fun. Forget about him."

"Fine," I grumbled, cracking a smile as he took my other hand in his and pulled me in to the bustling nightclub, swaying us to the reggaeton beats that echoed through the room.

"Baila mi amigo, baila," he encouraging me to dance until I was swaying along with him. He had the unique ability to distract me from the mess that was always lingering on the other side of the phone line back in England. I hadn't wanted to go on this trip, determined that after everything that had happened I simply wouldn't be able to enjoy it. But Rye hadn't taken no for an answer, practically forcing me to enjoy myself. And it was working.

"There's that beautiful smile of yours," he grinned.

"Sorry," I sighed. "Mikey just-"

"Stop," he cut me off. "From now on I don't wanna hear you say his name. Pretend he's Voldemort."

"Thought you didn't like Harry Potter," I smirked back.

"Ah, but you do, mi amor," he replied. "And I know how to get through to you."

That he did. As impossible as it seemed, through some hypnotising combination of music and tequila and him my sorry excuse of an ex-boyfriend was the suddenly last thing on my mind.

"That girl's staring at you," I pointed over Rye's shoulder to the brown-eyed beauty looking at him through her lashes.

Rye's lips quirked into an arrogant little smirk. "I think you're right."

As if she could tell she was being talked about, the girl approached us, lustful eyes fixed on Rye. "Hola guapo."

"Hola," Rye smiled back smugly.

"Quieres bailar?" I didn't understand Spanish, but judging by her body language it was pretty clear what she was after; Rye's attention.

"Ya estoy bailando con el. Lo siento querida." 

To me the Spanish words sounded pretty damn sultry rolling off his tongue, but the pretty girl must have disagreed, her face forming a pout before she turned heel and stalked away.

"What did you say to her?" I frowned at Rye as he moved back in front of me to keep dancing. He didn't seem bothered at having struck out.

"I told her I'm already dancing with you because you're much sexier anyway."

I scoffed. "You definitely didn't say that last part."

Rye chuckled, shrugging me off. "I'm here with you, babe." He pulled me in by the waist, turning me around so my back was against him as he whispered in my ear. "Now show me how those hips move."