track 07. my eyes adored you - franki valli

My eyes adored you. Though I never laid a hand on you, my eyes adored you.

***

It was probably not a good idea to remember the feeling of falling in love with my best friend, because that memory unlocked other memories, and suddenly I was in a place I very much did not want to be. The start of the semester was busy, and the distractions were plentiful, yet every now and then it would hit me in unexpected ways. The weekends seemed to be the worst, as we had the most free time alone in the apartment together, and today being a Saturday morning, I found myself on edge again. 

Rye came out of the shower that morning, abs glistening in that unrealistic photoshopped way that they always did, but what was shocking was my body's response to him. I didn't understand why my eyes were suddenly being dragged, as if by magnets, from his chest down to his v-line, and why the thought of what lay just below the hem of his towel made my dick twitch in my joggers. It was as if I'd built up a tolerance to his hotness over the years, but falling back down the rabbit hole of my pubescent feelings had erased some of that progress. It didn't help at all when he reached into the pantry to grab his jar of peanut butter, his eyes closing in pleasure as he took the spoon into his mouth, licking it completely clean of the gooey liquid. My eyebrows knitted together in concentration, desperately trying to hit the mental reset button, but still I couldn't stop staring at him.

"You okay babe? You look like you're about to be sick." His voice pulled me out of my daze, my brows uncrossing as my eyes managed to travel to his face instead. Fuck, it wasn't any less pretty than his body, but it was currently frowning at me with a mixture of worry and confusion as he most likely wondered if I was about to chunder on the carpet.

"I think I am sick," I muttered, only half-lying. It may not have been an illness that came over me but something definitely had. He put another spoonful of peanut butter in his mouth and my eyes fluttered shut, not able to take it anymore.

"Do you think it's the flu?" He asked, concern washing over him as he moved closer to me, placing a hand on my forehead. Oh God, don't touch me, I thought, everything getting worse the second his skin made contact with mine. I opened my eyes, his naked torso now taking up my entire field of vision and I felt a tingle in my cheeks as blood flooded the capillaries there. "You do feel hot," he commented.

He wasn't wrong. The worst part of it was, my face was not the only place where the blood seemed to be determinedly rushing in my body, and I knew I ought to make a quick escape before this situation got even more uncomfortable. I hadn't had to deal with this type of thing since I was fifteen and I was annoyed with myself for getting these feelings around Rye again. But maybe I just needed to get off; it had been a while after all, as I hadn't slept with anyone since my break up which was now well over three months ago.

"I'm gonna go lie down," I decided, getting up to leave.

"I was gonna invite you to a party tonight, but if you're sick maybe you don't wanna go," said Rye, still sucking on the spoon in a highly distracting manner.

"What party?" I asked, sitting back down. A party could actually be a good idea, I clearly needed to let off some steam.

"Some of the football guys are hosting one."

"Football boys you say? I'm suddenly feeling less sick," I joked, quirking an eyebrow at him.

Rye snorted. "Alright. If you're sure you're feeling okay."