track 11. you've got a friend - carole king

You just call out my name, and you know wherever I am, I'll come running, oh yeah baby, to see you again.

***

I wasn't even thinking. I just drove.

Rye's location was a little flashing beacon on my phone screen, every minute that brought me closer to him seeming to drag out longer than the last.

I didn't recognise where I was, having ventured to a neighbourhood far outside of the vicinity of the university, the kind of area where staggering drunkards loped out into the middle of the street with no regard for cars, forcing me to slam my brakes on more than once.

"Get off the fucking road!" I yelled in frustration, holding my palm against the horn until my way cleared again, flooring it until the little dot that was me was hovering directly over the dot that was Rye. I peered around me, not seeing him anywhere on the dimly lit steet, my panic heightening again as I dialled his number. It went straight to voicemail, his battery clearly having given up.

Ignoring my fears for my own safety, I left security of the vehicle, making sure to lock it before I stepped onto the cracked pavement. I twisted my head left and right, no idea where to look for him.

"Rye!" I called his name into the darkness, tears pouring down my cheeks. "RYE!"

"Andy?" The sigh of relief rushed out of me as he stepped out of a shadowy corner, feeling his body slam against mine moments later. I wrapped my arms tightly around him, the tears of frustration turning to relief as he broke down in my arms.

"Lets get out of here," I said, pulling him towards the car and getting him into the passenger seat. I thrust the engine into gear, grabbing a tight hold of his hand before speeding back to the apartment.

I didn't ask him any questions, knowing him well enough to know that what he needed now was comfort, not an interrogation. But my blood still boiled when I thought of Sonny getting him into this mess. Rye was so good that he could see the best in anyone, but I wasn't the same. He may have had a tough exterior but only I knew how vulnerable he truly was. He needed to be protected, not thrust into hostile situations he had no business being a part of. Anyone who put him into a situation that left him in this state simply didn't deserve him.

Rye collapsed onto the couch the second we got home and immediately  started laughing hysterically. I stared at him, no idea what to do with him.

"Is something funny?"

"I thought I was gonna die," he laughed. "Like actually die."

"And that's funny because?"

"I have no clue," he answered, breathing heavily as his laughing fit died down.

"You wanna tell me what the hell happened?" I asked, sitting down next to him. Rye rolled his head around to look at me. It was like the old, chill Rye again, everything besides the dried tear stains on his cheeks making it seem like this was just any other old night. He took in my concerned expression, his bottom lip folding between his teeth as he debated what to tell me. "No bullshit, Ryan, please," I implored him.

"I just hate it when you're right," he sighed. "But you're always right."

"About Sonny, you mean?"

"He ditched me." Rye looked down at his hands dejectedly. "I know he's in some bad shit but...I don't know. I thought I could trust him."

I fought back the urge to scoff. "What made you think you could trust him? You just get high together, right?"