The Next Afternoon

We left Factionless this morning. Caleb set out for Candor with us, then decided he would go and find the rest of Abnegation. Tris, Tobi and I went on without him.

We are at Candor now, and all of mine, Tris' and Tobias' secrets are out. It feels weird calling 'Four' Tobias again, but I can now, as everyone here knows who we really are.

We were arrested as soon as we got to Candor. They said that Tobi and I had committed crimes against humanity, and that Tris was our accomplice.

They put us under the Truth Serum, which, if we tried to resist, even if we could, it was painful.

I was put under first, and then Tobi, and then Tris.

I only remember it vaguely, but my trial was... Well, emotionally and physically painful.

********************

Kang went to inject me, and I flinched away.

"Can I do it myself?" I requested.

He looked at me before nodding, and handed me the syringe. I injected myself shakily, and he nodded satisfied, before sitting opposite me, to start the interrogation.

"What's your name?" Kang asked.

"Cat." I told him easily.

"That is a nickname. What is your name?" He repeated.

I hesitated. "Tiana." I replied finally.

"And what are the names of your parents, Tiana?"

I curled my hands tightly into fists, and clenched my jaw as the pain from trying to resist the Serum started to kick in.

"The more you try to resist it, the more painful it will be for you. Now what are the names of your parents?"

I winced. "Evelyn and Marcus Eaton."

Mutterings started, everyone recognising the Marcus's name.

Kang puts his hand up, and the mutterings cease.

"So you were a transfer?"

"Yes."

"From Abnegation to Dauntless?" He clarified.

"Yes."

"As part of our trials, we have to determine your loyalties. Why did you transfer, Miss Eaton?"

I looked across at Tobi, and the Serum started to hurt me again, at my reluctance to answer. I gasped at the pain.

"Miss Eaton, it will be easier for you, if you don't resist." Kang warned.

"To protect myself." I gasped out, and the pain receded.

"Protect yourself from what?"

I sighed tiredly. "From my father."

The mutterings started again, and this time didn't stop when Kang held up his hand.

"Be quiet, or you'll be removed." He shouted, and everyone hushed.

"Thank you for your Candor." He told me, and the room repeated it.

"Miss Eaton, does your allegiance lie with Dauntless?" Kang continued.

"My allegiance lies with those who are loyal to Dauntless, and who don't support the attack on Abnegation, or anything else Jeanine is doing." I told him.

Then he moved on to interrogate me about the attack, and nodded as my words matched up with what we had told him before he agreed on a trial.

"Before we finish up, Miss Eaton, what are your deepest regrets?" He asked.

"My transfer." I sighed.

Kang looked at me inquisitively, and I continued.

"Transferring to Dauntless was an act of cowardice, meaning I am not worthy of being Dauntless. If I was truly brave, I would have stayed, and stood up to him." I looked down at my hands.

Silence washed over the room at my words.

"Thank you for your Candor." Someone whispers, and the rest of the room repeats it.

"Miss Eaton, you are hereby cleared of any accusations incriminating you." Kang tells me, and Shauna hurried over to help me to my feet, and out of the room, where she gave me some water, hugging me.

********************

We were all cleared, but Tris revealed that she'd killed her friend Will, and now Cristina, Tris' best friend, is really upset and avoiding her.

But now everyone knows who Tobi and I are, after all these years of trying to hide the truth of who our father is; why we transferred to Dauntless; and that... we are Divergent.

Tonight, Tris and I are going with a group of loyal Dauntless to the Hancock building, to scout, and see if we can find out what Erudite are up to.

I'm going to go and grab something to eat, get changed, and annoy the Candor until it is time to go back to the dorm to meet up Tris, Uriah, Lynn and Shauna, before meeting the rest at the entrance to Candor.