The Next Morning

Early this morning, at like 1am, Jeanine activated the simulation serum in four Dauntless-borns staying in the dorm I was in.

The four were: Marlene, (From Tris' year of initiation); Hector, (Shauna's little brother); Kee, (A twelve year old Dauntless-born); and an eight year old boy, called Kai.

I was shaken awake by Christina and Tris. Still half asleep, I was dragged to the lift up to the roof, and told there was a simulation. Not everyone, but a few.

When we got to the roof, I saw the four Dauntless-borns stood on the edge, facing us.

One of them, Marlene, spoke. But it wasn't her normal voice.

"I have a message for the divergent."

Being the only Divergent there, Tris and I stepped forward to accept the message.

"This is not a negotiation. It is a warning." Jeanine told us, through the simulation- controlled Marlene. "Every two days, until two of you deliver yourselves to Erudite Head Quarters, this will happen again."

With that, they all stepped backwards off the roof, and I lunged forwards.

Not at Marlene, who was truly Dauntless.

Not at Hector, who is my best friend's little brother.

Not at Kee, who is young and has her whole life ahead of her.

I darted towards Kai, the youngest there, who had lost all of his family as traitors, when they had joined Erudite. Kai, who had adopted me as his big sister.

I pulled him towards me, away from the edge.

Looking across to Tris and Christina, I saw Christina grab Kee before she fell, and pull her onto the flat of the roof.

Tris had caught Hector just as he'd fallen over the edge, and she was clinging to his hand, straining not to let go of him.

Making sure Kai was safely away from the edge, I followed Cristina over to Tris, and helped them pull Hector back onto the roof.

Marlene lay dead on the pavement far below.

Then the simulation ended. While Tris checked Hector over for any injuries, Christina and I checked on Kee and Kai.

When I knew all three were ok, I headed down the jump, landing on the net, leaving the others still on the roof, and set off to find the leaders to inform them of what had happened.

******A Few Hours Later******

I know what I have to do. I have to go to Erudite. I already Tris has decided to go, despite the fact Tobi has asked us not to do anything until everyone has discussed it.

I have spoken with Tris, and we plan to go tonight when everyone, including Tobias, is asleep.

When I go, I will be most probably going to my death. I know that. Erudite will most likely kill me when they are done with me, so...

Despite what Tobi says about not being able to manage without us, I know, and Tris knows that he'll be fine eventually, and will get over his loss.

We aren't telling anyone where we are going, or what we are doing, but we have told Christina we are going to Amity to 'check they are all ok'. That's our cover story. We told her we don't know when we'll be back, and have asked her not to tell anyone till we are gone, so that Tobi doesn't try to stop us.

Anyway... I guess this is Goodbye.