Chapter 17

3rd Person POV

The group of people walk off the private jet and onto the landing strip. 

'Why is it so hot out here?' Opal says as the walk to a town car waiting for them. 

Laurel had to stay behind and help her moms with a mission but the group was still rather large. 

Ms. Reid, Lana, Dani, Opal, Emmet, Serena, Vi, Nia, and Kara stood 9 strong in the large desert and blistering heat. 

Kara- We are in the desert Opal. Of course it is hot. 

Lana- Mom can we get somewhere with AC, please. Standing out here is going to give us all heat exhaustion. 

Vi- 'Oh come on! You guys are all wusses! The heat is the best!!!' Vi gets a glare from the whole group. 'Geez harsh crowd.' 

Kara- Okay let's go into town and find our hotel. 

Ms. Reid- Then we can meet up with my contact and see if what we can find out. 

*****Time skip***

The town seemed like it was a town out of an old western movie. It was a small town and our group had gotten many different odd looks and glares from the locals. It seems like outsiders were few and far between and were not really welcome when they were around. 

Nia- Jeez so many odd looks. 

Emmet- I fucking hate the south. 

Nia raises an eyebrow at the uncharacteristically grumpy boy and says 'What's your reason?' 

Emmet- I am a raging pansexual and I am a trans man. Why do you think I hate it here?

Nia laughs at him and says 'Fair enough' as she walks slightly faster to catch up to Kara who was walking at the front of the group. 

Emmet looks pissed and seems to take Nia's nonchalance and moving on as the fact that she doesn't support the boy. Though the girl was supportive of all people the boy didn't know that.

Emmet runs in front of the two adults and stops their forward progression. 

Kara raises an eyebrow at the boy as he says 'What? You got a problem with me being trans?' probably a little louder then he should have in Texas. Even in 2019. Kara starts cracking up and so does Nia as the small boy says 'What? Wanna fight? Who even are you anyway?' 

Kara- No! Of course, she doesn't want to fight you. This is Nia Nall. The editor of fashion at Catco and one of my good friends. 

'And of course, I don't have a problem with you being trans!' Nia says with a small giggle. 

Emmet- Why is that?

Nia turns to Kara and asks 'Is it even possible to be transphobic when you are transgender yourself?' 

Emmet's eyes widen comically and Serena rests a hand on the boy's shoulder and says 'Emmet you need to learn to trust people. Not everyone is against you. We got your back against anyone who is though. He smiles and nods and turns to keep walking toward the bar where the group were told Ms. Reid's contact hangs out most days. 

No one in the group noticed the small group rough-looking bikers that walked out into the street blocking their path to the bar. 

Ms. Reid- There a problem gentleman?

Biker 1- Yes there is. We don't want their kind here. We are gonna have to politely ask you to leave. 

Kara- Their kind?

Biker 2- Yah trannies. They are not welcome here. 

Nia- Oh I see. You really are playing into the southern stereotype, aren't you?

Biker 1- We aren't going to ask you again. Leave now or we will make you. 

The group turns behind them as they hear a low but feminine voice say 'There a problem here?' 

Vi sees that the biker's eyes widen at the sight of the woman in a police uniform giving them a good glare. The officer was a tall redhead with broad shoulders and light freckles on her cheeks. The woman is around the same age as Kara and Nia. 

Biker- Of course not Sheriff Haught. Just having a friendly conversation with these outsiders. 

The Sheriff gives them a smile but obviously didn't believe what was being said. 

Sheriff- Good for you. Now move along. I will show these fine people to where ever they need to go. Or do whatever they asked you for help for. 

The bikers grumbled and glared at the woman but moved along anyway. 

Once they are out of eyesight the woman relaxes and turns her attention to the group and with a warm smile, she says 'Hi you all must be new in town'

Ms. Reid as smart as she is can also be dense, says 'How can you tell?' 

This caused the tall redhead to laugh and fix her cowboy while she says 'This is a small town. Everyone knows everyone and I am the sheriff so I really know everyone and I have never seen you before.' 

Kara raises an eyebrow and says 'Is it really that small of a town? You know everyone?'

Sheriff- I wouldn't expect the CEO of a major news company to understand. We probably have around the same amount of people in this town as you do in your employment at Catco.' 

Nia- So you know who Kara is?

Sheriff- Everyone. Even in the south knows the name, Kara Danvers-Luthor. Fewer people would recognize you on the street though. So what brings you to Purgatory?

Kara- I am writing a piece on crime in small towns. And I heard about the robberies so I came to check it out. 

The redhead raises an eyebrow and says 'Excuse my skepticism, but why would the CEO come check this out?' 

Kara- I miss my old reporting days. Being cooped up in my office all day is mind-numbing. 

It was a cover-up for the real reason but the whole group could hear that the woman really did miss being in the field. 

Sheriff nods and says 'Well enjoy your stay here.' before walking off. 

'Oh wait! One more thing!' Ms. Reid calls to the tall woman. 

Sheriff- Yes?

Ms. Reid- Could you point us in the direction of shorty's bar? 

A small smile spreads across the women's face and says 'I am heading there now y'all can just follow me.' 

The group follows the woman and Nia asks Ms. Reid 'Why are we going to a bar with underaged children?'

 Ms. Reid- My contact works there and she is a 6th generation resident here so we can seriously use her help finding our way around here. And it is only a bar at night it is a restaurant during the day. 

We walk up to an old saloon type place with old Harley's in front of it. 

Sheriff- That is true and welcome to Shorty's.