-05-

"Wait. Hold on. What?"

  Joanna glares over at Sam Uley in burning fury. "What?!" She screeches both in fear and worry as she replays his words in her head like a broken record.

It was the next morning, the clock barely striking nine when the burly man with chopped hair and a tattoo on his arm came entering the home. Dressed in a pair of old and clearly used gray shorts, he came in only to explain, "Victoria - the pale face - escaped from our grip last night. The Cullens also entered our land, which gave her the advantage to gain speed and flee the sight."

  Joanna swore her eye twitched before her glare hardened on Sam. "Oh, how fun, she's still out to get me. Looks like I'm gonna die!"

  "Jo!" Sue gasped, swatting at the woman with her dishtowel before returning to finishing the dishes. Though Joanna offered to help, the mother dismissed her and continued to work by herself. She's been doing that for a year now since Harry's passing.

  "We'll figure out a plan that you don't need to know about," Sam said, sending a look at Joanna before focusing on Leah and Seth, whom of which were struggling to even look at him. "We'll make sure you'll be safe, alright?"

  "That'll definitely work," was Joanna's sarcastic reply. Rolling up the sleeves of her black sweatshirt, she twisted her heel on the wooden floor. "Maybe we can paint the walls with my blood," she added, making Sam sigh loudly.

  "We will not because that will not happen."

  "You don't know that."

"The pack will make sure of that - that you'll be safe."

  "You don't give a damn about me."

  "Okay, that's enough!" Sue barked, glaring at both Sam and Joanna. "You two, shut up. Sam, go on home, buddy." Running a hand through her dark, long locks, Sue watched as her the Male left their home in a rush. Although she was upset with the whole imprint thing, she trusted him still. Which, of course, irritated Leah beyond a point.

  Seth snorted out loud then when he knew his leader was far away. "Mom bit him," he nudged his sister who of course shoved him in response. Sue sent them a look before her dark brown eyes focused solely on Joanna,

  "Dear, how about you check on your friends."

  Surprisingly, Sue didn't hold a small pinch of hatred on Joanna when she learned her connection with the Cullens. The woman simply smiled and nodded, not daring to say anything that surrounded her opinions on the pale-faced family. Even last night, when all three them entered the home and Sue greeted them with hugs, she listened as Leah explained the situation. She sugar-coated the major parts, all except the fact that Joanna was in danger. The result was usual - Sue gasped, pulling Joanna into her arms before ushering her into the spare bedroom that used to be Leah's since she moved into a small apartment during winter.

  A small nod was Joanna's response before she walked down the hall, dialing only one number in mind that she knew would always answer.

  "Hello," chirped Alice in her icy, slick tone of voice that made Joanna erupt in chills. As much as she still was ticked off with the little lady, she still held an important role in her life as she made sure no one would hurt her. "How's it down there in the pet shop?"

  "Huh?" Dumbfounded, she listened as Alice explained her joke quickly. "Oh, how hilarious. Anyhow, I'm calling to see how y'all are after last night with her?" Saying her name tasted disgusting so she opted with saying her.

  Alice, in response, gasped out, "It was a nightmare!" There it was, classic Alice Cullen bubbling out a million words from her mouth. Joanna simply placed her phone on the kitchen counter when she reentered the area. Sue sent her a questionable look while Leah rolled her eyes and groaned in annoyance.