-09-

If there was one thing about Jasper that she despised, it was how much he despised the wolves, even if they counted as her family. So when the idea of Leah carrying Joanna on her back to drive her scent another way, Jasper threw a fit. Of course, Joanna didn't mind hanging out with Leah, but Jasper didn't.

  The blonde immortal had his arms crossed his chest, a silent death glare being sent to the wolf-girl, whom of which was holding Joanna on her back.

  Dressed in her pajamas from last night which was a pair of blue, striper shorts and a cotton shirt with an Old Navy logo on it, Joanna yawned. "It's like six in the morning, stop planning to murder each other."

  Words went on deaf ears and they, Leah and Jasper, continued to plan their murders on one another.

Joanna groaned before raising her voice, "Hey! Are we gonna start moving or are the vampires going to strike any second and I'll be dead on the floor?"

  That finally got a response from the two supernatural species. "They're not coming after you, Joanna. With her smell, it'll cover yours. You must run across the forest, reach the deepest spaces of this place. We need to turn them in a different direction."

  Leah hummed in the back of her throat, and focused her attention on her friend. "You won't become a special meal for them, Joanna, alright? My smell will distract them. Vampires have a shitty smell, leach."

  "Oh, come on," Joanna groaned, flicking Leah on the shoulder. "I thought you two were finally becoming semi-close. Now, you're back to bickering at each other like a bunch of little kids." 

  Jasper stepped closer, earning a step back from Leah. Annoyed, Joanna freed herself from Leah's hold and bounded forward to Jasper who had opened arms for her.

  He pulled her into his chest, whispering softly, "I'm going to protect you."

  She pulled her head away, whispering just as softly, "I know, Jasper, I know. But right now, we need her help. I trust Leah and I get that vampires and wolves are enemies, but I'm the one girl who stands in between. Well, that's Bella, too, but you get the point." In response, the blonde male pulled some of her raven locks behind her ears. "This isn't the end, dude. This isn't our last goodbye."

  "I know that, yes," Jasper muttered, placing a stomach-fluttering kiss on Joanna's temple. "Go on to Leah. Jacob should already be on up there with Leah."

  They pulled away, a long look in their eyes. "Be safe."

  Joanna hopped on Leah's back, sending one last glance at the vampire. "Knowing me, I'm going to break at least one bone."

  And the sound of his distant laugh fell into her ears as Leah skyrocketed away.

  "You know," Leah's voice swam with the wind, "he really cares for you. I know we're enemies and whatnot, but seeing that was sweet."

  A blush covered Joanna and she muttered a small, "shut up, Leah," which made the said girl laugh out loud. "But, yeah, I suppose he cares for me."

  "Suppose?" Leah shouted, clearly surprised by her friend's words. "Are you that blind, Jo? He cares for you severely. I mean, he was the guy who was about to plan my own murder because I was touching his girl." 

  His girl. Those words worsened Joanna's blush, making her fingers clutch her pajama shorts as she envisioned those words. His girl. Damn, that sounded pleasant in her head. 

  "I'm not his girl, Leah. Do I want to though? Possibly."

  "You two are so blind," Leah gruffed before yelling out, "Jacob! Slow your ass down for us."