-14-

"For a long time, I wanted to take you here...I just never had the courage to."

A father, husband, son, and a hero

BRICK JAMES HODGSON

JANUARY 3, 1971 - JULY 18, 2008

RIP

   "He was the greatest man to ever meet," Joanna continued, crouching down so she could fix the white tulips near his gravestone. From his spot next to her, Jasper respectively remained quiet. "Tulips were always his favorite. Sue would nag him whenever he would snatch one away from her garden to give to my mom."

  Rising back up to her full height, Joanna fixed the red turtleneck sweater that she wore. "Daddy is probably standing by us now, wondering why a pretty boy is standing too close to his baby."

  Chuckling softly, Jasper places his hand on her shoulder.

  "Ah, a bad boy. Daddy is probably shaking his head, upset over such a troublesome boy."

  Jasper rose a honey-colored eyebrow. "Really?"

  "Most likely." Her voice was full of emotion, making Jasper's smile drop. Again, she sobbed and he held her close. "It's been twelve years but every day it feels like he died yesterday. People say you'll get over death, understand the concept of death, but I never could. I still cry over him, wanting him here with me. B-but it'll never happen."

  Pulling her close, he watched over his grave. His eyes traced over every let, letting his name be repeated in his head over and over again. He wanted to memorize every bit about him because he played the biggest role in her life.

  "One day I'll see him again."

  Becoming stuck, his bones freezing, Jasper could only let her words smack him across the face.

  "I'll die and he'll be there by my side. Jasper?" They locked eyes. "When I die, accept my death. I don't want you to do anything. Cry, smile, laugh. I want you to be over my grave, asking did I die from my weirdness?"

  No smile formed his face. Meanwhile, Joanna grinned and looked down at her father's grave. Her tears stilled.

  "A great man once lived on this Earth." 

  With that being said, she turned on her heel and fished out her car keys. "Let's get heading. Daddy-" she looked back at him, "-don't beat Jasper up too much for being a trouble maker."

  "I'm no such thing," Jasper retorted, catching up with her easily as they marched towards her vehicle. "I a joy-maker."

  As she unlocked the door, she rose an eyebrow at him. "You're being a dork, Jasper." She slid into her car afterward, starting the vehicle just as Jasper buckled in. "If you want, I can show you more about my dad. We were learning how to make me open more a few years ago, weren't we?"

  "That is true."

  Music blared out the stereo, making Jasper groan. "I told you, People Ain't No Good is an amazing song. Shrek introduced me into some of my favorite songs ever." Cranking down the music for him, Joanna grinned faintly. "It was a favorite of my dad's too."