-12-

It was a week later that Joanna Hodgson was completely encased in the Cullen household. All her belongings from her original home were scattered in her room, placed perfectly across the span of the bedroom. White walls stretched high above her, showcasing her skylight that sprinkled a pinch of heaven onto her creamy skin. 

  Her grey eyes passed from her glowing hands to focus on the sparkling male that stood next to her. Blonde hair tied on top of his head in a loose bun, sweatpants circling his hips and a red-sweatshirt covering his torso, Jasper Hale rested in tranquility. Home.

  This was her new home.

  Aspects of Jasper entered her room, besides, of course, his actual form. A few of his books were sleeping in her bookcase, begging to be read by her when the time came. One of the hundreds of his journals was tossed on her bed, open for the world to view.

  Joanna herself even got a glance at his secrets before she realized that she didn't know every single detail of him. She could simply count his scars, ask him to repeat his favorite memories as a child and she would know him. She knew him already, but there were aspects that she couldn't just grasp yet. Then there were some parts of him that weren't needed to be grabbed and held onto like life support.

  Jasper Hale was a vampire, but he still had his human self lingering inside. Time to time, Joanna could even tell he was listening to her heart. Most likely, she guessed, he was wanting to feel something he hadn't feel in years. A heart. Yet, listening to her heart soothed all his nerves.

    "It feels odd," Joanna admitted into the room, her voice echoing off the walls. Before, she explained how living in a new environment made her feel out of place, yet the home made her feel accepted. "Does living in a new place have this effect on someone?" 

  Jasper's eyes sparkled like a sea full of molten gold. "It's a different feeling for everyone. You'll get used to it, miss."

  Playfully, she grinned and muttered, "Stop calling me that. Anyhow, I guess I will. We never moved before due to money problems, so this is just...odd to me, really." Shoulders rolled out a shrug before she studied her new bedroom. Taking in every detail of her quarters. "I still need to make this place more me, if you get my point."

  Without thinking, Joanna dived onto her new bed, sighing as the cold comforter stung her skin. It was pleasant yet uncomfortable, but somehow she enjoyed the feeling.

  Jasper watched her curiously, his mouth coming to fall into a stern, thin line. She paid no mind to it, only letting her thoughts drown her from reality - a common thing she did when she became bored. As much as she loved Jasper, he could make her bored. All people faced this, no matter the connection that was strung between people.

  Dismissing the way Jasper sat on the edge of her mattress, his eyes diverted strictly on her, she let her thoughts ponder. Images of her mother blossomed in her mind like a newborn rose. Callie Hodgson was combing through her raven locks, murmuring a sweet tune that always soothed her daughters. Kinsley was in front of her, playing with the ukelele that Sue Clearwater gave her for her fifth birthday. The sound was ugly, but then again, it felt familiar. It may kill the ears of others, but it brought a solitary feeling to Joanna.

  "You're quite calm, and a bit...glum. Care to tell me why?" Jasper inquired, catching her attention quickly.

  Joanna let a moment of silence fall from her before she answered, "Just memories, old ones."

  "You have a beautiful family," Jasper told her with a soothing voice that reminded her of a crackling fire. "They took care of you, nourished you, fed you, they love you."