1. where did my humanity go?

❝where did my humanity go?❞

where did my humanity go?

DAMON SEEMED TO FINALLY BE ABLE TO TAKE A BREATH OF RELIEF WHEN HE SHUT THE TOMB ON KATHERINE. He finally got to lock her in the tomb, like he had come to Mystic Falls to do in the first place. He got to listen to her cry behind the closed door, and maybe feel an inkling of what he'd felt for the past 170 years.

She took everything from him. His wife, his family, his happiness. He'd spent the better half of his immortal years trying to track her down and he finally thought he had her, only to find out it was all a lie. He only got angrier, the resentment that had festered in him for all those years had finally burst and he simply didn't care about anything besides hurting Katherine Pierce in any way possible.

And shutting that tomb door on her as she begged him not to was a wonderful start.

Now, all he had to do with his life was drink himself numb at the only decent bar in Mystic Falls and feign concern over Elena's perpetual need to be saved.

He sipped his bourbon and stared at the table emptily, his gaze barely focused on the clean surface.

"Ro, come on!" Damon called, holding his hand out to the girl as she lifted the skirts of her dress and started to run. He didn't plan on running anywhere, but he would follow her no matter what.

He went after her, a smile on his face as her laughter echoed through the gardens behind her house. "Catch me if you can!" She looked over her shoulder and smiled brightly at him, and Damon felt his heart pound against his chest at the sight of her.

She was ethereal, with wild brown hair that always seemed to do whatever it pleased– yet it was always curled slightly at the ends. Her eyes were aquamarine, not ever just one shade of blue or green. It was always a mossy ocean, filled with life and love.

He would get lost looking at her beautiful features, the slow draw of her smile as her plump lips pulled back in a knowing smirk. The way she always looked happy, even in her darkest times. She was an anchor to the uneasiness of Damon's quickly approaching responsibilities and he wouldn't go on with his future unless she was right there by his side.

He loved her, very much. He knew, even with the war on their minds, it would never change between them. It would always be light, and love.

Damon bitterly blinked back tears and swallowed the rest of his drink, pushing the glass towards the end of the table so someone would see it and refill it. A pale hand wrapped around his glass quickly, and he thought nothing of it until the hand and the body it was attached to sat down in front of him.

Damon looked up and let out a sigh of discontent at the sight of the blonde teenager sitting before him. "Go away, Caroline."

She frowned at his sour tone but shook her head as she got comfortable across from him. "Stefan's worried. He said you were, and I quote, 'drinking your sadness away' but as far as I'm concerned you don't get sad."