36. bedlam in the sixties

❝bedlam in the sixties❞

"IT'S GOT TO BE SOME SORT OF CAPITAL CRIME AGAINST ME THAT THIS MAN OWNS NOTHING FASHIONABLE."

Klaus rifled through the dresser drawers, frowning at the bland colors before him. He pushed a few shirts out of the way, his fingers hitting a wood panel that cut off nearly half the drawer. He furrowed his brows, lifting the panel up, surprised to find a practical vampire-hunting artillery hidden underneath it.

"Crossbows, wooden bullets, and automatics?" He pulled a spring-loaded crossbow out of the drawer and turned to face Rosemary with a frown on his face. "Who is this guy again?"

"According to Elijah, he's the local vampire hunter."

"Ah, well, that explains the clothing." He shakes his head in distaste again, earning an amused look from Rosemary.

Maddox spoke from behind them, interrupting their conversation. "All I could find," He offered a glass to Klaus as the man approached, that dangerous glint dark even in the eyes of someone else's body. "Guy likes his bourbon."

"I knew there was something about him I liked," Klaus sipped the liquor, washing it down easily as he leaned against the counter behind him. "There's a high school dance, and I'm gonna need you to take out witch bitch."

Maddox gave the hybrid a helpless look. "If she has that much power, she can sense me coming from a mile away. I won't be able to get near her, you'll have to do it."

Klaus scoffed, gesturing to himself. "In this body? I'm a haggard history teacher. She can easily hurt me. I mean, not me– Klaus me, but– you know what I mean."

Rosemary pursed her lips and looked at the two men. "No witch could handle channeling that much power. Human body or not, you're still an Original. It'll kill her."

Maddox nods, confirming her words. "It would kill me to do it. You just have to make her use it to the extent that it'll actually kill her."

"You mean like provoking her to death?"

"Won't take long, just keep attacking her until it kills her. His body, Alaric's, will last longer than hers will."

"How? He's human."

Maddox smirks at Rosemary, then at Klaus. "I can help in that department. I can do a spell to protect you."

Klaus nods, then points to Rosemary with a determined look. "Get ready. I'm not taking any risks that Stefan won't try something."

Rosemary looks at him disbelievingly, her eyes widening. "I'm going? Does that mean–"

"If I live, you can go."