16. torturous wait

❝torturous wait❞

torturous wait

DAMON DROPS THE NOTE LIKE IT'S BURNED HIM, HIS BREATH STALLED IN HIS CHEST. Disbelief rattles him as his brain tries to conjure every bit of rationality he might have left in him. Any excuse would suffice to calm the sudden hope he'd not allowed himself to feel for the past century and a half.

He'd spent the better half of his eternal life convincing himself there was no possible way, and yet there was proof in his trembling hand, right before his eyes.

He sets the note down on the table with a shuddering sigh that no one elses takes notice of, and exchanges it for the vial of blood that had been left with it.

He can feel Elena's eyes on his back, but he just uncorks the vial and turns to Rose. "Drink this," She looks up at him through dazed eyes and he urges it towards her dry, cracked lips. "Trust me on this one, yeah?"

She nods quietly and he pours the blood into her mouth, watching her grimace through her sore throat before she swallows it.

Damon takes a step back as Rose sighs, blinking rapidly as a sudden energy bursts through her. Her hand goes to her heart and she sits up in bed quickly, pushing herself to her knees and out from under the sheets.

She turns her bare shoulder towards Damon, breathing recklessly in relief and his hand pats the bare skin there with a half-smile on his face. "What'd I tell you? Good as new,"

Elena gasps at the sight of Rose's unmarred skin, healed from the fatal bite, and Damon shifts Rose on the bed with a slight nudge. The older vampire looks at him, relief and gratitude shining in her eyes.

"I'm alright," Rose nods to herself before lunging at Damon, encasing him in a hug that conveys every bit of emotion she was feeling at the moment.

Damon pats her lightly before pulling back from her, a small yet genuine smile on his face. "There's, uh, one more present for you, Rosebud." He grabs the daylight ring off his table and holds it in front of her, watching a tear skid down her cheek as recognition hits her.

"A daylight ring?" Her voice is thick through concealed sobs, and he nods in silent confirmation. She slides the lapis lazuli ring over her finger and clasps her hands gratefully as she tries to contain her sheer happiness.

Rose looks up at him, curiosity shining through her tears. "Who did this? Why would they–"

Damon shrugs her questions off, still hyper-aware of Elena's presence in the room. "I'm looking at it like a homecoming present. And, uh, a reminder that I should try to keep my first friend in a hundred years alive."

Rose chuckles, looking to Elena who's in silent awe at the entire situation. "I owe you my life, Damon. And whoever did this for you, for me. What could I possibly do to thank them?"